1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I quit... Phew! (And there is life after teaching)

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by crawshawn, Apr 9, 2018.

1. crawshawn

crawshawn New commenter

I finish teaching at the end of the month. What a massive relief. My PGCE year was tough. My NQT year was horrendous and I don’t think I ever recovered from that. My big fear was..

What job would I get if I left teaching that would be:
    1. Fulfilling
    2. Of an equivalent salary (not as important as no.1)

There are many aspects of teaching that I loved. Being in the class room was great. Working in a close department was great. Seeing students leave school and go on to succeed was great. I imagine anyone reading this that has taught will know full well the reasons why I don’t enjoy it and I don’t really want to go in to the work life balance debate (mainly because there is no debate to be had in my eyes).

What I did want to focus on is the fact that there are opportunities outside of teaching. I probably applied for 20+ jobs. I had interviews for around 10 of them. I was successful on my 3rd interview. What I learned was:

1. Persevere! (Don’t give up if you don’t hear back or you’re unsuccessful).
    2. Teachers are in demand! I think that employers understand that there are genuine reasons to leave teaching and are prepared to offer decent jobs.

My job in the civil service requires organisation, leadership and the ability to communicate well. These skills transfer across to many different industries and I have had interviews with a wide range of employers.

I suppose my message is really: if you are unhappy teaching but scared about what comes next; be confident, get applying, and persevere!

Good luck!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done and congratulations on your new job.

In a few years time if you want to, you can always go back to teaching if only on supply.

3. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Well done @crawshawn. You’ve done well. This will motivate others to take the leap.

I think the kind of thing you’ve gone into is a key factor. I went into a financial sales job quite simply for the money. I didn’t realise how tough I’d find it trying to hard sell a product to someone who really didn’t want it. I felt guilty.

My regional and area sales managers actually laughed when I tried to explain my difficulty hitting monthly targets. I managed to, but it was tough.

You must have done your research well (much better than I did) and looked for something that you’d feel comfortable doing (whether you realised that at the time or not). Great work!

I expect that there’ll be a lot of people on here asking how you did it.

Good luck and every success to you.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. crawshawn

crawshawn New commenter

Thanks! I suppose it helped having previously worked a very similar job to the one you described that you are currently doing (selling for a high street bank). I had a clear idea of what I didn’t want to do, even if I wasn’t set on one particular job. I’m not keen on sales roles and the pressure that they bring. I also had a good understanding of interviews outside of teaching. They all seem to be competency based (tell me a time when you...) these days and it’s just about memorising as many good examples as you can and following them through in a clear structure. The same is true for the application forms. They can be time consuming but once you have a really good one, I found that you could do a lot of copy and pasting and quick tweaks to make them relevant.
    The final hurdle is the notice period. I quit way before I had a job lined up. It was a risk but I knew that not many employers would want to wait 3 months. At least it forced me to make lots of applications!!

I hope things get better for you or you find something else that you enjoy!

agcb256 and Shedman like this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I found I usually had at least one class with significant numbers of youngsters who didn't really want to buy into education.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. exploration

exploration New commenter

Yes, but morally you're doing the right thing. In sales, you're probably not.

7. miadawson128

miadawson128 New commenter

8. miadawson128

miadawson128 New commenter

Well-done!! Yes there is life after teaching. I went to the British red cross. Never knew they had lots of other fed up teachers in their massive education department. Teachers have amazing skills and are in great demand with other sectors of employment. Sometimes, taking a step back just gives you that time to breath.

9. htaylor16

htaylor16 New commenter

Well done & congratulations! I handed in my notice two days ago, so far I have no idea what I'm going to do but I've paid someone to update my very outdated CV and once I get it back I shall upload and email it out to as many agencies as I can. I'm fortunate in that Ive had experience outside of teaching and education, although that experience is 13 years out of date! I'm leaving at the end of the academic year, but I am already contracted to do some examination marking so if the worse happens I'll be OK until October - I'm hoping to find something before then though. I shall miss the students and the long summer holiday but I'm looking forward to getting home and not stressing about the next day/weeks work and having cheaper holidays as my own children are no longer tied to school holidays any more.

pepper5 and (deleted member) like this.