1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I pay your salary......"

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by moontitan, Oct 17, 2014.

1. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Working in an indie, and I work hard, do everything I should, give students additional support, help students make progress. But the number of times I have heard "I pay your salary..." from parents, sigh.

I wish I could say, maybe you should use your money on lessons in manners and etiquette. The comprehensive school I left, at least the parents respected the teachers, they treat you as professionals.

I am going back!

2. maths126

maths126 New commenter

I believe that the standard reply in such circumstances is offered with a carefree smile, "What you pay doesn't even cover my salary".

3. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Hahaha. That's brill!

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Thing is though, they do.

And while some of those parents are the type who light the fire with £50 notes, many will be "ordinary people" - like teachers - who are sacrificing a lot to pay the fees.

They're racked with middle-class guilt. They read the Guardian, they know every child should go to a Comprehensive really but then their experiences of the state system we so bad they're now living in a smaller house, running an older car and taking fewer foreign holidays to get their kids out of it.

And, when the pressure is on and things aren't going right sometimes that leaks out into "I pay your salary.."

Being a parent, one who actually gives a stuff about your kids, is not easy.

5. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Paul, you make a VERY good point. The parents I am referring to are the ones who have a total disregard for other children in the school and what is fair. They want their child to be in the top classes even if they are not capable. If they are "paying my salary" well then so are others.

It is the 80-20 principle, the minority of parents take up most of my time, and it is also these ones who struggle to accept that their little darling is not as academic or high achieving as they themselves were, despite the money they spend.

My child is at the local state school, I did think about moving her to the indie with the benefit of reduced fees, but now that I have been working there I know that she is already receiving the best education. She is independent, living in the real world, has friends who live in the real world too. She is not like the spoon fed children in the indie. And oh yes, she is not being taught to the exams!

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Bearing in mind that you teach at said indie, it doesn't cast you in the greatest of lights. I would never teach other peoples children in a way that I would not wish my children to be taught. If the school disagreed with my way of thinking then I would change schools. Life is too short to go to work hating what you do.

Having taught in the independent sector since 1996, I can honestly say that I have never had a parent say "I pay your salary..." either to me or to a colleague of mine. That is certainly not the same as saying that it doesn't happen though.

Parents usually want the best for their children and it is only natural that they have a somewhat biased perspective when it comes to them. If the parents are complaining about and questioning the setting of their children, then perhaps the process of setting is not being communicated adequately enough to the parents?

7. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Like I said Karvol in my original post, I am going back to the state sector. Love teaching, hate dealing with parents who are bullies.

Perhaps you need to experience the state sector in order to understand the difference in pressure.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There is pressure whether you are in the state sector or the independent sector. It may not be the same, but it would be naive to deny that it exists. Parents who are bullies are hardly a new phenomena or one exclusively part of the independent sector. There are plenty of horror stories around of parents behaving as judge, jury and executioner in the state sector.

If you are going back to the state sector then all the best and I hope it is everything that you wish it to be. I would have suggested changing to another independent school, but it may not be possible for you, or even desirable.

9. I did over ten years in a state comp and am now in my fourth in an independent school. Even accounting for the difference in size between the two schools, I found parental complaints and general bullying behaviour to be roughly equivalent. State school parents don't lie down and think "Well I'm getting this for free so I don't mind it not being right". State school parents are just as aware that they are paying towards your salary indirectly through their taxes.

10. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

Well I have worked in an indie too and had nothing but praise, whereas in my current state school the parents take everything for granted. Maybe you were just lucky in your state school! Every school is different and it is lazy politics to give one example and make it a generalisation.