1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i pad

Discussion in 'Personal' started by joli2, Dec 18, 2011.

1. joli2

joli2 New commenter

No, it just works.

2. It uses a cross between witchcraft and fairy magic (proper IT terms) and even stalwart technophobes at my place love them because they are so easy to get going and use.

3. v12

v12

I'd be delighted to road test for you - just pop it in the post!
    I only wish Mrs v12 were as generous. Tsk - probably another pair of socks or something.

4. bnm

bnm

If it makes you feel any better he's also getting 7 pairs of brown socks.

5. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

It's worth every penny!

6. Worth every penny! I bought one for myself as a birthday treat a couple of months ago. I felt extremely guilty at spending all that money in one go, but I could afford it. I had been thinking about it for a while but kept putting it off. Anyway, I woke up one day and thought "you know what, I work so hard for my money, why not?" An hour later I was in Comet burning a hole in my debit card! Now I don't feel guilty in the slightest and absolutely love it. It is so user friendly too, don't think I have ever looked at the instructions for it!

7. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I am personally amazed that I managed to exist without one. If mine broke, I'd need some sort of therapy.

8. bnm

bnm

Thank-you very much for all of your replies.
    I suppose I have no excuses now...........

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

no, you don't. none at all. :D

10. I don't like apple products (don't even own a mp3 player yet) but got given a ipad recently after my dad got one - it is great! use it all of the time, so addictive though I have become slightly less sociable as it is so easy to sit with in front of the tv and still be on the net etc. Defo buy one!

11. Sorry to hijack this thread OP but you may find this useful too!

What are your favourite apps on your iPad? I really like the Kindle app, Skype and the Guardian Eyewitness.

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

bbc news, iFooty, the tube map, the train times one which is brilliant (departures and arrivals at any station, etc) iplayer, hootsuite (twitter app), google earth, facebook and ebay.

13. Angry birds! Pages, keynote and numbers. iThoughts, Dropbox is a must.

14. I dont have one but came VERY close to buying one a while ago - all that stopped me was that they told me they'd have to order it in, so I figured i'd leave it and give it some more thought. I couldn't really afford it so am glad I didnt!
    However, my OH's mother has one and whenever we are over there I love it. Theres something so pleasing about the sleek way it does everything. We have two perfectly good laptops (one is my work laptop) yet I still yearn after an iPad!
    I was doing a jigsaw puzzle on OH's mum's yesterday, which I enjoyed!

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

As an IT fan, and not the biggest mac fan out there

my only question would be why?

I was thinking about one a few months back, and for the life of my I couldn't think WHY i needed one.

OH has a mac, i touch, I phone and I cannot see what the pad would do extra.

16. Yes, what would he use it for? You can use it to check email and go online, and play games, go on Facebook and Twitter etc (and here!). I think you can get a sort of version of the Microsoft Office tools we're all used to, but it won't run Flash or Adobe applications, and of course there's no keyboard, just one on the screen (which you can't use for fast typing I don't think).
    I know nothing about computers, but my daughter got one for her 11th birthday last month, so I have been able to glean a little bit about the iPad versus a desktop or laptop. She plays games on it constantly (Fruit Ninja is my favourite) but I haven't found myself wanting one!

17. My iPad is my most frequent method of reading (emails, web, books, etc). The apps are brilliant. You can use a wireless keyboard or various kbd/stands etc so can have fast typing. The lack of flash is a pain but adobe are no longer supporting mobile flash so this is likely to be a non-issue soon.

18. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

My husband has an ipad and it is a magical thing....I have an advent tablet and it is almost as good, (even my husband admits that and he is fiercly pro-apple). If you want a cheaper option, I would recommend the one I have - not sure of the model but googling would bring it up. Whichever, he won't be disappointed.

19. bnm

bnm

Well, based on the generally positive vibes on here I've been and gone and bought it.
    Hope he likes it!

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

would ou like to buy one for me if your felling generous Bnm? I so need one abut i cant afford it with a wife and house to pay for[​IMG]