1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I only teach 4 hours!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mellie_88, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I am about 6 weeks into my second placement, and at present I only teach 4 hours a week, where as most of my course mates are teaching anything up to 20! I sit in other classes but I don't actually plan and teach them, I just kind of TA. There is another PGCE student for my subject at my school and so I feel a bit rude asking for more classes as it means between us we will be teaching just about all of KS3. I did have a year 10 class as well, but they have now been taken off me as they are starting their controlled assessments and so the class teachers want to be in charge of that which I perfectly understand. I also have a year 10 BTEC class, but again I have not taught them anything (not that they ever get taught anything anyway!) I just walk around the class and tell the kids to get off youtube and do their work! I don't know what to do, I don't see how I can have an adequate teaching file if I'm not teaching much!

2. What subject is it? I reckon you need to check your university's expectations for your second placement. For example I have to teach four lessons again (1hr each generally) and my uni would check my file etc. Contact your uni tutor to express your concern. This situation may impact your chance of success so you need to address it. :(

3. I'd second the advice to contact your tutor. Our university guidelines are that trainees should be on a 50% to 60% timetable; at 4 hours a week, as you say it's going to take a long time to build up a training portfolio and experience, both in teaching itself as well as the time management skills.

I can see how the school might be apprehensive about letting two trainees teach the majority of KS3, but this is something the school should have considered before offering 2 trainee placements! One possible solution to suggest could be offering to team teach with the other trainee: not ideal, but it sounds as if the classes are scarce!