1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I only teach 4 hours a week!

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by mellie_88, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I am about 6 weeks into my second placement, and at present I only teach 4 hours a week, where as most of my course mates are teaching anything up to 20! I sit in other classes but I don't actually plan and teach them, I just kind of TA. There is another PGCE student for my subject at my school and so I feel a bit rude asking for more classes as it means between us we will be teaching just about all of KS3.
    I did have a year 10 class as well, but they have now been taken off me as they are starting their controlled assessments and so the class teachers want to be in charge of that which I perfectly understand.
    I also have a year 10 BTEC class, but again I have not taught them anything (not that they ever get taught anything anyway!) I just walk around the class and tell the kids to get off youtube and do their work!

I don't know what to do, I don't see how I can have an adequate teaching file if I'm not teaching much!

2. Contact your uni mentor ASAP.

3. sideshow is absolutely right. This is a ridiculous situation; they shouldn't offer themselves as a training provider if they're not prepared to let you teach their classes!
    Even if you had concerns on your first school placement report (not insinuating you have, by the way) they are obliged to offer you a useful timetable in which you can learn properly. Don't let it go on or you'll run out of time to meet all your standards properly.
    Good luck!