1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I only have a year to teach single science gases. Any suggestions what to teach when this is scrapp

Discussion in 'Science' started by hanzg, Feb 20, 2016.

1. hanzg

hanzg New commenter

I work in a PRU where I only have a year to teach the gcse single science course. When this is scrapped does anyone have any suggestions of suitable options to be taught in a year

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm in similar circumstances.
    I shall be considering AQA Entry Level science
    AQA Technical Awards
    Single award science e.g. biology

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Me too!

4. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

Depends what you want to achieve.

Entry level will have similar content at a lower level to GCSE - single and double award available. Won't count in performance measures if this is an issue.
    Technical awards won't have content in from the triple science GCSE so will sit as a totally separate qualification. Will only count in bucket 3 of Progress 8.
    Single award - if you are allowed to enter you will have to consider progress 8 implications, the same with other qualifications like BTEC L1 which you can easily deliver in a single year (I have to my SEN Y9 group this year) but won't carry performance measures etc.

This shouldn't be an issue for a PRU as the most appropriate curriculum for your learners won't be EBacc or similar!

phlogiston and msuxg like this.