1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I now have just the two ginger mogs who keep opening the cupboards?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Oct 14, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Some of you may remember I lost a much beloved cat a little while ago, but since then, my two ginger Toms ( well aka Toms), have been clawing into every cupboard in the house. They are quite successful in opening the drinks cabinet, since it only has a horizontal bar, but now it has extended to the cupboard under the stairs and the one in the second bedroom.

Do you think cats can mourn the loss of a fellow animal well known to them, or are they just being naughty and having a quick snifter when I'm not looking? Literally every door in the house seems to be open, and they won't go through the cat flap any more, only the main door. I wonder if we underestimate stress in our animals, especially cats, who seem to be super-sensitive. Most bizzare.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Or it could be that the sadly absent one kept them in line!
    Give them a cuddle and snuggle and get those baby safe catches for the cupboards.

3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

What's the equivalent of a smack to a cat?
    Either you want them to stop them doing it or you aren't actually all that bothered.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Spraying them with water. Child proof catches would be kinder.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

One of my cats gets restless. He has to open every cupboard (base units) in the kitchen and roam/sniff about. Usually i open the cupboard doors and let him in. He likes this and I suspect it's because he was wanting some attention in the first place and this is the most immediate way of getting it. IMaybe they are looking for your absent cat. They will still smell him. If you live in an old house you may have mice in the walls (this time of year the mice become active, looking to over-winter) and your cats will hear them even when you can't.
    As Flere said, lots of cuddles, reassurance, play with them.

6. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

I've never understood what cats are for.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Nobody really knows. Their behaviour is interesting to watch though.

It never ceases to intrigue me what prompts the shouts of "Oi you two!" from my sweetheart that sometimes are followed by the dog chasing the cat along the passageway and sometimes it;s the cat chasing the dog.

By far the most interesting part of this behavior is what prompts the pair of them to cease biting at each other's tails and snuggle up in the arms of each other for a kip,

I fear the time is bound to arise when the cat has one of the dog's eyes out or the cat is suffering from the loss of a tail and suffers a mischief when falling from a height and in incapable of landing on its feet.

We only got the cat because we had mice. They sodded off the day he arrived and he's only caught one he found in the garden. Rather ironically, although the mice were freakink my sweetheart out,as soon as we got the cat she fell in love with it and knitted countless mice to amuse it.

Yes, it would be wonderful to know what the point of cats are, Madge, but before we've got a chance of understanding that, don't you think we need to spend a moment or two trying to get to grips with women and what they're about?

8. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

women are fabulous. I would rather work with women than men anyday.

Duke of York likes this.
  9. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Cats are "for" adoring, of course. Silly.

10. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

I would rather work with men. Women are power mad.