1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I now have a son!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Feb 11, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

One of my daughters has a lovely boyfriend/partner/fiance, whom I met for the first time fairly recently. They have set up home together and have committed to each other. Both in their twenties.
    He really is a super bloke and I've become very fond of him. He seems to have had a bit of a rocky start in life, but it hasn't affected him too badly and he's a decent, thoughtful, caring sort of chap. I'm so glad she has chosen such a good 'un.
    I hadn't given much thought to my daughters getting themselves hitched and she was the first of the three to have a boyfriend (as far as I know). Odd; I feel as though I've become a mother again!
    Anyone else been surprised like this?

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

One of my daughters has a lovely boyfriend/partner/fiance, whom I met for the first time fairly recently. They have set up home together and have committed to each other. Both in their twenties.
    He really is a super bloke and I've become very fond of him. He seems to have had a bit of a rocky start in life, but it hasn't affected him too badly and he's a decent, thoughtful, caring sort of chap. I'm so glad she has chosen such a good 'un.
    I hadn't given much thought to my daughters getting themselves hitched and she was the first of the three to have a boyfriend (as far as I know). Odd; I feel as though I've become a mother again!
    Anyone else been surprised like this?

3. You do realise , if that is the case, you owe him twenty odd years of back pocket money.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

As long as he's up for twenty years worth of washing up [​IMG]

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Having had a male dominated home - OH and two sons - it has been great for me since the boys both settled with lovely girls. I now have shopping companions and can talk recipes etc. We get on really well and I feel that they are my 'daughters' - but they don't call me mum! [​IMG]

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Yes I know what you mean. My daughter couldn't have chosen better - my s-i-l is just fabulous and everything she needs. I am so happy for her and he is good to me too! He has fitted into our family like a long lost relative, such a joy. Some of my friends are really jealous because their sons-i-l dont match up to mine![​IMG]

7. I am quite pleased for my diva who has met her match! A nice young man.
    Now she has his Mum and Dad living close by to look after her, as she lives a long way away from me. So that is good.

8. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Well done, all you in-and out-laws!

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I'm the opposite unfortunately.
    My son has been going out with an ex-pupil of mine for over a year now. He has contacted me to say he is going to propose to her in March.
    He is very naieve and simple in lots of ways (not intellectually, but socially/emotionally). He is in a good job with good prospects and a good 'package'.
    She is none of these. She is manipulating, has not worked ever, has little money behind her, and dominates him (though he doesn's see this).
    She is obsorbed in and obsessed by her family. He is gradually being drawn into this.
    'They' (ie she) have pie in the sky ideas of how they are going to support themselves for the future.
    It will all end in tears, mark my words.
    How do I know? because exactly the same thing happened 30+ years ago with me and his mother.