1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I noticed on another thread a few people with type 1 diabetes, anyone willing to share birth experience?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by shelia, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am type 1 diabetic and the other day I noticed on the consultant care thread there was a few other ladies who were also type 1. I am in my third trimester and getting a little worked up about the birth. I have a list of questions to ask my consultant next week about induction, sliding scale and who will actually be at the birth. Is anyone with type 1 diabetes willing to share their experience or journey so far?
    Thanks x

2. Hi
    I am type 1 diabetic and the other day I noticed on the consultant care thread there was a few other ladies who were also type 1. I am in my third trimester and getting a little worked up about the birth. I have a list of questions to ask my consultant next week about induction, sliding scale and who will actually be at the birth. Is anyone with type 1 diabetes willing to share their experience or journey so far?
    Thanks x

3. Hi Shelia. I've been type 1 for 24yrs and am almost 26wks with LO2. With LO1 I was on novorapid and lantus following DAPHNE principles, this time I am on a pump and loving it!
    LO1 - From about 25wks I had too much amniotic fluid and by 27wks it was full blown polyhydramnious. They knew he would probably be early because of this so I had steroid treatment at 30wks to develop his lungs early. At 31wks he had a massive growth spurt so they planned a c-section for the following wk. The scan 4 days later showed he hadn't continued on the growth spurt so I had a reprieve! At 33+6wks his growth was off the chart again so I went home to pack a bag and went in that evening and had a c-section the next day. I was put on sliding scale before the op - it's literally a drip with glucose and insulin. They adjust the ratios according to your blood sugar level. LO was born at 11.13 weighing 7lb and I stayed on the sliding scale until I could eat about 3 hrs after this.
    As he was six weeks early there was a pediatrician at the birth and according to my OH, about 12 other people. I was unaware of any of these - i could see OH, the anaethetist and one of the midwives.
    If this had not of happened, the consultant had already said they would not let me go beyond 38wks as insulin resistance becomes a real problem. My breakfast ratio was already up from 2:1 to 8:1 by 30wks but my HbA1c never went above 7.
    About an hour after we were moved to HDU (normal after a c-section) a midwife scooped up the baby, said something about a funny colour and disappeared with him. Scariest moment of my life. She had noticed his breathing was laboured and his lips were blue so he was immediately taken to the adjoining SCBU. He had to stay in for 11 days; would have been 8 but they don't release before or during weekends as health visitors are not easily available. His breathing was fine after 6hrs on cpap but his weight was down to 5lb10 after 2 days to he had to put on weight before they would release him. They allowed me to stay in for the whole time as I wanted to exclusively breastfeed. For the last four nights we had a family room on SCBU so OH could stay as well.
    Can't believe that was almost 2yrs ago now and I'm doing it all over again.
    LO2 - The last scan at 25wks showed generous amniotic fluid but no where near what it was with LO1. Fingers crossed, as I couldn't do 11 days in hospital again as it would be fair on my little boy.
    One thing I wish I'd known was how quickly my insulin needs would return to normal. I woke up the following morning at 1.8mmol and my ratios were less than prepregnancy as I was breastfeeding.
    Hope that long and rambling post helps!! Good luck x

4. This has been really useful to read. My daughter is type 1 and 22 weeks pregnant. I will direct her to read this to allay some of her fears too
    Thank you and good luck with number 2 x

5. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I am a type 2 diabetic, and happy to share if it would help? Not sure whether it will be useful though, so won't bother typing it out unless it's actually relevant! Know the two things can be quite different.

6. I've not got any experience, as we're currently TTC, but thought I'd make myself known!
    Actually, not TTC as new consultant did not like Hba1c of 7.8%, so am on a (rather frustrating) break. Not got a regular cycle either so it's all a bit scary & overwhelming & not sure if it's possible or something I can cope with at the moment, so these positive stories make me feel better!!

7. Hi Gruffy - My HbA1c at 6wks pregnant was 6.9% which I was worried about but the diabetic consultant said that they like it below 7.5% so you're not far off the target. Now that I am pregnant, it is tested every 2wks and it can change by .2% each time so if you were to have a stable month you could be trying after Easter.
    If you are type 1, have you looked into getting an insulin pump? It makes controlling sugar levels overnight much easier as you can set an hourly rate so it drips into you, much like it would in a non diabetic. I found that on a long acting insulin the hourly rate was preset for 12 hrs so if I took enough to keep me level between 3am and 6am I would go hypo at 1am as I didn't need as much in the early hours of the night. With the pump, my hourly rate around 1am is 1.8U/h, rising to 3U/h at 5am.
    My PCT always give them to women trying to conceive if they request one. I'm dreading giving mine back so will breastfeed as long as possible as I keep it until then.
    Good luck - it can be scary and overwhelming but I think we have it easier than those who find out in the second trimester that they have gestational diabetes - something completely new to get to grips with and much harder to control by diet alone.

8. Hey Andi,
    Thanks for your reply. It's a little more complex than just my HbA1c as I have irregular cycles and a bonkers attitude to being pregnant. Not sure on my new hospitals attitude to pumps. I've been actively avoiding having to have one for the last couple of years, I really don't like the idea of something inside me all the time. But then I didn't like the idea of injections when I was first diagnosed, so it might be something I can get over.
    I think I'm struggling at the moment with the thought of giving more of my body over to the 'unknown'. I've only be diabetic for 6 years & I'm coping ok with it all, can do the things I enjoy & no complications (yet). I'm terrified of being out of control, of my body, of my diabetes, of it all really. Plus I've always been a bit freaked out by the idea of something growing inside of you!
    I'm feeling terribly overwhelmed by all this, and not sure if TTC and pregancy is something I can cope with. Although I want to be a mum!! Would actually quite like it if you could find babies under gooseberry bushes...

9. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

Are you type 1 or 2? Guessing 1 from the mention of injections? I'm type 2, so slightly different, but I was diagnosed 3 years ago now. I really struggled to accept it, and even when I had I found the idea of a diabetic pregnancy very difficult to deal with, yet I ultimately had a very positive experience of a diabetic pregnancy when the time came. If we can help answer any questions, just ask x

10. Hey Chocolate (nice name!),
    I'm Type 1 so I'm not sure what's the same or not for Type 2s. But your post has made me realise how daunting I'm finding a diabetic pregnancy, especially when I'm unsure about pregnancy anyway.
    I'm hoping it's a bit like a tattoo, not something to look forward too or an enjoyable experience, but it's worth it in the end.....?
    What did you do to get past the overwhelming feelings of D and pregnancy?
    Thanks for your help & advice, & sorry to the OP for highjacking!!
    Gruffy