1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I never knew that! Dangers of Food Network

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I'm watching Barefoot Contessa on th Food Network (now 24 hours a day).
    She uses sticks of butter and for the first time I saw one - actually packaged into sticks (about 4 ounces).
    So online I went - and I had no idea that American kitchens don't usually have a set of scales!!!
    So thathelps explain why they use cups and all sorts of other measures, not to mention the weird stuuf they buy, presumably because it is ready weighed.

But I also saw something else that did food swaps... swap your unhealthy food for soemthing more healthy.
    I had no idea what have the foods were. Americans seem to eat so much non food food!! Weird stuff in cans, tubes and little packets or jars.

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I have seen an American cook use a tin of beef stock. Also a dash of smoke flavour (what can that possibly be made of?????????????) from a bottle like Lea & Perrins.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I should add, I get confused by ' cups ' as they are different amounts for liquids and dry ingredients and I don't actually own any cups so couldn't improvise. I believe Nigella Lawson does a range of the American measures.

4. I have a set of 'cups'. They were given to me with a pile of American cookery books.
    I no longer have the books (far too weird), but the cups come in handy for online recipes. But I am used to them as both Nanas used a teacup for baking. I just don't have a tea cup, so the metal ones do!
    A bottle of smoke...... mmmmm!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I am unpacking some of my kitchen boxes at the moment and have found a set of said cups that I forgot I had bought - I remember buying them thinking that the next time I see a recipe online that calls for measurement in cups, I'd be able to make it confident in the knowledge that I have made it using the correct measurements. However, since I've owned them I haven't seen a recipe I want to try!

6. So Sod's Law works in cookery too!
    Must admit mine don't get as much use as I expected when I hung them up on the rail!

7. egyptgirl

Mine were shoved in my 'secret' draw. Not 'secret' as in you couldn't see it, but 'secret' as in Mr EG wasn't allowed to look in there because it was so unorganised, cluttered and messy. Normally, I am a very tidy, clean, ordered, neat person but this was my messy place!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I find American measurements weird too, also they still use Fahrenheit for ovens!!Admittedly when I first cooked all electric ovens were Fahrenheit, but not any more.
    I'm also bewildered by the yukky sounding dishes, eg Biscuits and Gravy, just sounds so revolting.

9. egyptgirl

I have this image of a digestive or custard cream dunked in gravy - sounds revolting...but oddly a bit like one of the pregnancy cravings I was experiencing this time last year.

10. Yes, but.... aerosol cheese used to give me nightmares, now I am beset by odd fake sugar products, weird non fat fat products and some things that just look/sound disgusting - usually in jars and called dips!
    Marshmallow fluff... what is that?
    I mainly fall across such stuff on a diet forum. They happily trot out recipes that contain 0% actual food - it is 100% processed 'stuff', usually faking something unbearably sweet or a food that you just wouldn't eat anyway, and I have no idea what or why??
    Like poptarts for breakfast when you are 50 years old, or a low fat no sugar choc fudge brownie cupake covered in non dairy creamer or aforementioned fluff, followed by a slug of bright red soda! Why restrict kcals? I want to scream. Just eat food!

11. My kids really struggled when we were in the States on hols as everything seemed to taste SWEET. I think they add corn syrup to a lot of stuff. Even their Kellogg's cornflakes have a higher GI rating than the UK version, but I guess we all are used to the tastes of our own foods. I was horrified in Morrocco to have pigeon pie with icing sugar in, but I bet Morrocans would be horrified by Marmite!

12. I don't mind the weird food if it is food, but all that non food stuff. Food that is made from chemicals and has never seen a plant or animal.
    So pigeon pie and icing sugar would just be ick - though I would have to taste it [​IMG]
    Our butcher friend will never go back to America as he was scared by the food. He got chatting to a chef out there and on hearing he was a butcher the chef invited them to taste the best steaks ever. He was ever so proud that you didn't need a knife to cut them, you could just use the back of a fork, or a spoon!
    Our friend couldn't eat his. He couldn't imagine the cocktail of drugs or quality of life that poor cow must have had. That and his first mouthful dissolved on his tongue - not what you expect from steak!
    We all read Fast Food Nation to find out what could possibly have been done to the cow and we all agreed, not going to America, or if we do we will take food parcels [​IMG]

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

B'stilla is gorgeous, you can cheat with chicken if you want to make it.

14. Ah ha - I have a recipe for that somewhere - Mr Stein perhaps (someone at work bought it for me before you ask - book club apparently).

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I have partaken of Marshmallow Fluff, but that's in the past now.
    I was intrigued by some 'squeezy cheese' in a plastic bottle the other day, but not curious enough to buy the stuff.

16. Oh, this has led to family arguments. I have relatives in the States and in Canada and on visiting them, nearly fainted.
    EVERYTHING was from a packet, a tin or a carton. And they considered this fresh as not a readymade meal.
    And all of this stuff was stuck into a microwave.
    I wanted to cook shepherd's pie one evening. You would think I had offered arsenic.