1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i need your help

Discussion in 'Independent' started by liverpool00, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi TES world!

I was invited to attend an
    interview at an independent boarding Prep school in Scotland. So I would like
    to ask you a couple of things.

First of all I have to say
    that I am Greek so excuse me for asking these “silly” questions.

<ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">The advert stated that the contract type
    is full time/part time. What does this mean? Is it a full time or a part
    time post? The contract time is permanent.<li class="MsoNormal">How many hours am I going to teach in
    each case?<li class="MsoNormal">How much money am I going to get in each
    case?<li class="MsoNormal"> Are
    they going to provide accommodation? Can I ask for accommodation?</ol>

The advert does not state that accommodation may be available.

<ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Can I pose these questions during the
    interview or it is not polite?</ol>

Also I would like to note that I am NQT.

Thanks in advance

2. Hi
    I work in a boarding prep school so I can only really comment on how it is for us - but it might be of some use.
    1) If it says both, then I expect that as a minimum it will be part time. However, there may be a possibility that it could become full, if it suits both you and the school.
    2) Hours can be quite long in independent schools, particularly boarding ones because if you finish at say 3pm, then there's alot of 'free' time with children doing not much. My school (which is a prep school) finishes at 6pm and then with extra activities going on until 7.30pm-8pm. However, it's not impossible to have a boarding prep school finish earlier. Maybe look at the school's website and see if it says?
    3) Always a tricky one to broach in an interview. Personally, I've never asked because I'm too scared incase they shout back ' You should be lucky to be here!'. OK, so I know that would never happen but I'm a scaredy cat! To answer your question - part time is usually on pro rata but as to what full time would be - only the school can answer that!
    4) I know that at my school there is accomodation but it is usually for those with some sort of evening boarding duties (i.e. putting children to bed). No harm in asking!
    As for whether you can ask these things in interview, I guess it's how tactfully you ask. Either way, good luck! Hope you get the job.

3. lilypot
    for your helpful reply!

Let&rsquo;s assume that the job is advertised as &pound;21k pro rata and the post is
    for 3 days per week. I am trying to work out what my monthly take home pay
    would be. Could anyone help me?

Is it possible the post to be only for 3 hours per week or there isn&rsquo;t such
    possibility?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then it is probably 3/5 i.e. 60%
    Much too complicated for me - you have national insurance, pension contributions, invcome tax . . .
    Sorry!
    But the basic point is: you could NOT live on this, it is not enough.
    Unlikely as it is 3 days.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

I normally agree with Theo 100%, but I don't this time. I think you could live on the salary if its 60%. I'm not denying that it wouldn't be a luxurious life, but if you were given accommodation or if you were prepared to take a flat share then it would be possible. Better than minimum wage! Also, you could try to get top-up work for the other days, e.g. private tuition supply or bar/shop type work. It may be worth living frugally for a time to get the experience which could help you get permanent work later on, and also the hours may be extended later. I did a 6 month uni work placement a few years ago and managed to live on &pound;150 pw (no parental help), including paying rent and bills. Without luxuries like a car, mobile phone, sky TV or holidays its possible! If you really want this job, then go for it!!!