1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i need your guidance

Discussion in 'Classics' started by liverpool00, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hi!

I’m a Greek classics
    teacher. I am living in Greece and I’m interested in teaching classics in a UK
    school, but I don’t know exactly have to take to do so. So I need your
    guidance.

I have got a QTS, but I
    have not any UK teaching experience. I don’t know exactly what pupils learn in
    Latin and Classical Greek, how they learn it and generally how things are done.

I assume that schools are
    looking for teachers who combine good qualifications and teaching experience.
    For that reason, I reckon that my lack of UK school experience is a serious
    drawback. (Or am i wrong?)

So, I would like your
    advice. What can I do to gain teaching experience?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I know nothing about teaching classics but was talking about this very subject today with a girl who has just got a classics degree. She tells me that there is a shortage of classics teachers as most of the current teachers are approaching retirement age - the subject is now back in vogue but there are not enough teachers to meet demand. I would approach private/public schools in the area that you want to live in.

3. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Για σου! If you want to find out first how we teach, and I can tell you it is different to the very traditional methods in the Greek world, I suggest you have a look at the Cambridge Latin website; www.cambridgescp.com
    Latin will be your bread and butter. Of course there are people out there who teach by traditional methods, but many secondary schools use the CLC.
    Are you aware of our examination system? There's a lot of stuff on exam boards' websites, which would allow you to become familiar with the targets of Common Entrance, GCSE and A Level/Pre-U in the classical languages.
    re teaching Ancient Greek, perhaps you could also get hold of text books, say through Amazon. I swear by Wilding 'Greek for Beginners' which contains nearly everything you need to learn for reading set books (ie literature for public exams), though you'd have to supplement it with your own grammar material, which is not contained within the book; references in the book are to a grammar by 'Abbot and Mansfield' which I find turgid and overfull. There is an excellent thin, relatively recently published grammar which is well set out, but I can't remember the author or title as I'm not at home as I write this.
    I don't care for 'Athenaze' or 'Thrasymachos' myself. I recommend John Taylor's recent text books 'Greek to GCSE' Parts 1 and 2, which are excellent but rather full for my situation where I don't have a lot of time to teach Greek. So I have to use them selectively. So I work through Wilding and then go onto the later chapters, 9 onwards in Part 2.
    As I have said elsewhere, there are quite a few Greeks teaching Classics in the UK. Why not join the OCR Classics teachers' e-community, where you can ask for advice and introduce yourself as a potential teacher? I have often seen Greek nationality correspondents teaching in English schools on that.
    I hope this is helpful. (BTW I hear there are about 70 Classicists retiring each year, and only 30 being trained, so you are in with a chance. The private sector is your best bet.)