1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need to increase my mid-week meals repertoire: suggestions please...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by steffiw, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Freezer full of the usual suspects ready for term time - chilli, coq au vin, various fruit crumbles, beef in red wine casserole, lasagne (veggie and my now infamous chorizo varieties) chicken tikka masala and so on. Apart from pasta carbonara, mozzarella and tomato bake and jacket potatoes, I rarely make anything else mid week. If I'm getting bored, them Mr W must be.

Quick and easy mid week supper suggestions?

Thanks
    Steffi

PS no rice or couscous!

2. Freezer full of the usual suspects ready for term time - chilli, coq au vin, various fruit crumbles, beef in red wine casserole, lasagne (veggie and my now infamous chorizo varieties) chicken tikka masala and so on. Apart from pasta carbonara, mozzarella and tomato bake and jacket potatoes, I rarely make anything else mid week. If I'm getting bored, them Mr W must be.

Quick and easy mid week supper suggestions?

Thanks
    Steffi

PS no rice or couscous!

3. Another one you can keep the bits in the freezer is Valentine wotsits prawns and spinach link
    We simplify it by using frozen bits and normal toms or a tin/carton. It tastes lovely and is unexpectedly filling. Climber did look disappointed the first time I served it, but it has now made his midweek list!
    And then there is our beany standby. Place a tin ot beans (kidney, black whatever you have) in the bottom of a small oven dish, place 2 pieces of fish or chicken on top of the beans and a carton of salsa on top of that. Cover with foil and place in oven for 30 - 40 minutes, depending on the fish/chicken.
    Climber has also done this with some weird flavoured sausages he accidentally bought (no reading glasses). I usually sausages with peperonata link another freezer favourite that gets used for all sorts (including adding a bit of smoked paprika and serving with little meatballs).
    I'll have a think about others - and a snoop to see what other suggestions you get.

Weird - they are all GL recipes too!!!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Tortillas - just buy a pack with the salsa, spice mix and tortillas in. Then fry up chicken (or beef, or prawns) with some onions and peppers and you have a very tasty dinner.
    We always add creme fraiche to ours rather than sour cream. It keeps longer in the fridge and I use it up in other things.
    I don't see any mention of lamb in your list. Nigella has a fabulous Greek lamb stew recipe - make at the weekend and serve with macaroni and crumbled feta. I have also made her lamb based spag bol.
    Tuna pasta bake if that's not too similar to other things in your list. We have various fillets of fish regularly too.

5. Should have said, since having to cook gluten free, my repertoire has diminished. Used to cook far greater variety, but it's become restrictive and boring since cutting out wheat.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I o0ften do a chorizo and butterbean "stew":
    • 1 chorizo cut into chunkss
    • 2 tins butter beans
    • 1 carton passata
    • seasoning
    <ol>[*]chuck chorizo in the bottom of a heatproof dish and warm till it begins to sizzle[*]add beans and passata - bring to boil and allow to simmer 30 mins or so[*]adjust seasoning to taste (I usually add salt, pepper and paprika, but your taste may vary!)</ol>

7. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I have bags of bolognese and mince in the freezer which I can use as is or if I'm feeling a little more energetic, to make a cottage pie/ lasagne.
    I have various curries frozen- currently there's lamb do-piaza, chicken rasedar and sauce to make curried eggs.
    Lentil, cider and sausage casserole.
    hearty soups- I've got chicken broth, lentil and bacon and spicy butternut in the freezer now.
    Pork and black eyed bean casserole- heavy on the spicy paprika.
    Meatballs in tomato sauce.
    I also keep fillets of fish in the freezer, frozen in 2s as these make nice quick mid week meals. Ditto pork loin steaks, lamb chump chops and homemade burgers.
    I also always have fresh pesto in the fridge for when I really can't be bothered. Griddle or roast some meditteranean type veg, and toss it through some (glutenfree!) pasta.
    I also freeze pizza dough, wrapped tightly in cling film, and homemade tomato sauce.

8. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Chicken Paprika
    Seal diced chicken in a deep saut&eacute; pan. Add a slice onion, followed by sliced peppers and mushrooms (if desired). Cook together for a few minutes.
    Add a minced garlic clove and a good squeeze of tomato pur&eacute;e. Stir. Add a tablespoon of plain flour along with a good tbsp of paprika and combine.
    Pour over about 3/4 pint of milk and stir to combine the flour into the milk until smooth. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vetegables are cooked.
    Add a handful each of frozen peas and sweetcorn and cook for a further 5 minutes.
    At the last minute, stir through a tbsp of cr&eacute;me fra&iacute;che, then serve with rice (if desired) or vegetables.

Chicken Stew with Lemon and Thyme Dumplings (Ainsley Harriott's recipe):
    Seal diced chicken in a saucepan. Add slice onion, leek and diced carrots and cook together for a few minutes. Sprinkle in some thyme and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
    Pour over a glass of good white wine and allow to reduce before adding about a pint of chicken or vegetable stock. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, make the dumplings. 100g flour, vegetable suet, a good sprinkling of thyme, some lemon zest, baking powder and water to combine.
    Add a can of cannellini beans (sp?) to the stew, then place the dumplings on top and allows to cook for 10 minutes, turning the dumplings over halfway through.
    Serve on it's own, maybe with some bread to mop up the juices. Yummm.

Sausage Pasta
    Cook your favourite type of pasta as usual. I like using tagliatelle.
    Take two sausages per person and slice into four or five pieces each. Seal in a pan for a minutes or two. Add and sliced onion.
    I variably add some/all of the following: diced courgette, red and yellow peppers (roasted first over a bare flame and the skins removed), cherry tomatoes, mushrooms...
    Once all the vegetables have softened a bit, sprinkle in some dried chilli flakes and add a clove or two of minced garlic, plus a good squeeze of tomato pur&eacute;e.
    Pour in a tin of good chopped tomatoes. In the empty tin place a tsp of vegetable stock powder and cover with water from the kettle (about half a can). Swill around the get all the left over tomato juice then add to the pan.
    Allow the sauce to reduce by simmering rapidly for about 15-20 minutes.
    Serve over the cooked pasta. Yummmy.
    The above sauce also works well in other ways. E.g. place the reduced sauce into an overproof dish and lay cod fillets wraps in parma ham/smoked bacon on top. Bake until the fish is cooked.