1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need to get a class through a SUPER fast controlled assessment....help!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by fantastischfish, Dec 8, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My year 11 class and I were left in the proverbial sh1t by the departing teacher. I have discovered that most controlled assessments are inadequate, wholly inappropriate task, or have not been completed in truly controlled conditions.
    Looking at the spreadsheet, there is a whole empty column where the Literature Shakespeare/Heritage marks should be. Upon asking the class where these assignments were, many of them said, "Oh, mine's at home", "Mine's saved on my USB". or "I was off and didn't finish it".
    The easiest thing is going to be to start again. The existing assignment title is on a play I don't know well enough to teach and also doesn't really fit the task bank either.
    I've got 3 lessons per week, they are a reasonably high ability group (targets ranging from A* - B) but lack confidence and all-round basic skills such as essay structure, although I've been working on developing this and they ARE getting there.
    So, can anyone help me figure out what to do in a short space to time to get this assignment done? I'll be taking time away from exam content, such as the novel for Literature, so I can really only afford a MAXIMUM of 3 or 4 weeks, including writing the assignment. I'd prefer to do Romeo and Juliet if I can because I just think it's the most accessible. So I can pick from: presentation of conflict; presentation of love; presentation of a hero; choices.
    I'm thinking either conflict or love. 'Romeo and Juliet': conflict in a couple of scenes, plus conflict in a selection of war poetry? Or love presented in R+J and selection of Shakespeare's sonnets?
    Arrrgggghhh!

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My year 11 class and I were left in the proverbial sh1t by the departing teacher. I have discovered that most controlled assessments are inadequate, wholly inappropriate task, or have not been completed in truly controlled conditions.
    Looking at the spreadsheet, there is a whole empty column where the Literature Shakespeare/Heritage marks should be. Upon asking the class where these assignments were, many of them said, "Oh, mine's at home", "Mine's saved on my USB". or "I was off and didn't finish it".
    The easiest thing is going to be to start again. The existing assignment title is on a play I don't know well enough to teach and also doesn't really fit the task bank either.
    I've got 3 lessons per week, they are a reasonably high ability group (targets ranging from A* - B) but lack confidence and all-round basic skills such as essay structure, although I've been working on developing this and they ARE getting there.
    So, can anyone help me figure out what to do in a short space to time to get this assignment done? I'll be taking time away from exam content, such as the novel for Literature, so I can really only afford a MAXIMUM of 3 or 4 weeks, including writing the assignment. I'd prefer to do Romeo and Juliet if I can because I just think it's the most accessible. So I can pick from: presentation of conflict; presentation of love; presentation of a hero; choices.
    I'm thinking either conflict or love. 'Romeo and Juliet': conflict in a couple of scenes, plus conflict in a selection of war poetry? Or love presented in R+J and selection of Shakespeare's sonnets?
    Arrrgggghhh!

3. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Hi Eva, we are doing R&J and two short stories from Hardy's Wessex Tales, though perhaps you could just do one? The question is about male attitudes to love. I think if you pick certain scenes and look at the story and focus on the most relevant quotations,you can do it in 4 weeks.
    Hope this helps,
    LHK

4. leola

leola New commenter

Is this english language-I did this coursework- 'examine how love is presented in R and J, sonnet 130 and sonnet 18.'
    we looked at how Romeo was presented in the 'o brawling love, loving hate' and contrasted it to the first time he sees Juliet -'did i love til now.' ? The contrast between hims being confused, angry, rejected and unable to see clearly vs when he meets Juliet-he uses exaggeration and hyperbole, comparing her to a jewel and dove, and speaks in rhyming couplets showing he is more sure of his love for Juliet. we also look at when they meet-they form a sonnet when they speak, sowing they're united in their love etc, and religious imagery used too.

Also with sonnet 18 and 130 we contrast the hugely unrealistic/exeggerated love vs the less flattering but more realistic version of love in sonnet 130.
    You can then compare the sonnets with the r and j extracts!
    (You prob know all about r & j and the two sonnets' lang/structure, but just in case!!)
    I have a few basic powerpoints on this. Can you reply or message me your email-I'll send them you, and a worksheet.

5. I think it might be best to reword this to "two sonnets from the selection that you have studied"...!!

6. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

I dont know when you need the lessons by but we are in the same boat- we have just co-written a scheme of work that will take 9 lessons- the title is compare how the characters in R&J and Havisham react to love.
    Basically, compare Act 2 Scene 2 with bits of Chapter 8 from Great Expectations.
    It should be ready (all lesson plans and student friendly resources) the first week after the hols.
    Please let me know if youre interested. X

7. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Eva, email me on zoebrunning@gmail.com.

We have done Love in R&J Act 1 Sc5 compared with To His Coy Mistress. Easy & opportunities for full range of marks. Watch film, ready & study scene + poem, plan write up, job done.

8. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

I've done conflict in Act 3 Scene 1 of R & J (the scene where Mercutio gets killed etc) and Dulce et Decorum est and The Man He Killed. There is enough in that R & J scene in terms of obvious dramatic devices and language techniques to make it straightforward to hit all grade bands. Also, there is a copy of the scene on teachit I think with prompt questions in the margins for answers to the right questions if you see what I mean - makes it super quick to annotate.

9. TESEnglish

TESEnglish Occasional commenter

Hello Eva,
    You might find these resources, activities and poetry MP3 readings useful:
    www.tes.co.uk/gcseenglishliterature
    (Covers options for conflict and love.)
    Although specifically developed for WJEC, you should be able to adapt to suit (fairly quickly) if you are with another awarding body.
    Regards,
    Chantel
    TES English