1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need some opinions, please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Jan 7, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm personally against pulling sickies and I think the Fri and Mon would also look very suspect (and how do you know your colleagues aren't on here and you've given the dates away?!)
    I think it would be best to ask and if the answer is no look into maybe a shortened weekend - are you near the ferry? Can you OH not call and say he is organizing a suprise, maybe that would make them more accommodating?
    I doubt this will be what you want to hear but I still like to think honesty is the best policy despite having been screwed over due to this in the past.
    Will keep my fingers crossed that they give you the green light xx

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Eh?

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I would never have found it easy to do this but if you are thinking of taking the time off I should keep it ABSOLUTELY to yourself. It's not a great idea, but some people do. It could be the only option.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Apart from not going of course.

5. I agree with the previous post. It can cause quite alot of bad feeling if colleagues end up covering for you & then find out where you were. Is it possible that you could leave school at 3:30 on the Friday and stand a chance of getting there? I live in the middle of nowhere, so its not possible from here, but you may be close enough to somewhere?! If you do decide to go, I would make sure you dont tell anyone at school, even your closest friends - it happened a few years ago when i worked in Nottingham & a colleague of mine was in a similar situation. She mistakenly told her year group partner her plans & wasn't greeted too warmly when she returned.

6. I would be really careful if you decide to "pull a sickie." If you are found out, you would be running a real risk of being disciplined for fraud - I have seen it happen in my previous LA, where someone was deemed to have breached his contract by fraudulently claiming sick pay. He was dismissed, as this was deemed to be gross misconduct - breach of trust and confidence.
    I can appreciate your wishes to spend some quailty time with your partner, particularly as you have been unwell. Would your HT be sympathetic to unpaid leave? Sometimes it is the thought of using up the supply budget that causes HTs to refuse time off...If this is not approved, afraid I agree with those who are saying you should maybe look at a shorter break if at all possible.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's gross misconduct to do as you propose. Don't even consider it.

8. Don't think I could enjoy myself knowing I had to go through the charade of pretending to be ill.

9. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

It's extremely unprofessional and should surely be cause for dismissal! Some years ago, a colleague threw a sickie to go to Glastonbury, and met a parent there! The parent duly reported it to the school and the outcome was not pretty!

10. i don't know about this. i once told an employer i was looking for other work and she took this badly, when the interview came up i told her i had a hospital appointment and she asked to see my appointment card! - i didnt know they could ask that.
    I told a collegue the truth and she said to pull a sickie, which i did and it wasn't questioned however i wasn't happy there and wanted to leave and they didn't really want me there either.

11. Middlemarch

Your colleague advising you to do it doesn't actually make it right. If you'd been discovered it could have ended your career.

12. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

In the circumstances if you are willing to take unpaid leave it would seem unreasonable not to agree.

13. Middlemarch

Heads cannot simply agree to give unpaid leave to every member of staff who fancies a bit of extra holiday during term time. It would be entirely reasonable to disagree - the OP is employed to teach and be in school 195 days a year.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

As I pointed out on the thread the OP posted yesterday. If you do so and are found out you deserve to be disciplined imo.

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I agree with Middlemarch. It seems hardly unreasonable to expect the OP to make arrangements to go away during the designated holiday period. In fact I'm wondering why her OH can't be more flexible if it's so important.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Maybe that's the next dilemma the OP will be posting?