1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need some help understanding this- salary for job.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by pickles124, Jan 10, 2017.

1. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

You mean you were on full time temporary? So then i'm assuming that if you did well you were issued with a new temporary contract and continued in that manner?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Excellent explanation, Theo.

I do feel it's misleading to quote the salary pro -rata in job adverts, which they nearly always do. Some are more honest and quote the actual salary. It does mean a drop of about a third, so can be quite a shock if you are not aware at the outset.

Teachers also don't work (or are not obliged to ) when the school is closed, but they do not have their salary altered in this way. Yes they should be on a much higher salary than TAs, but as they have the same holidays why are they paid for them whereas TAs are not?

The TA role has changed considerably and is now all about teaching and learning and not just washing paint pots. There is an increasing about of admin to be completed by teachers and the workload could be spread more evenly if TAs were offered full time roles, similar to other public sector employees, say from 8.30 - 5pm. It would free teachers up to do planning and marking while TAs helped out more with creating resources and displays after school, as well as doing their own planning and resources for their own interventions. It would also allow more time for teamwork with the teacher: discussions about children and their learning, TAs relating information about children they have worked with, planning future activities etc. With many TAs these days interested in entering the teaching profession, an extra hour an a half after school would give them more opportunities to learn from the teacher by planning collaboratively. It would also mean TAs could attend planning meetings and training with the teachers so that everyone is aware of what the school wants to achieve, not just teachers.

There could still be part-time TA roles for those with childcare needs, or TAs could make use of the breakfast and after-school clubs now offered by most schools.

I don't see a problem with TAs earning 20 000 for an 8 hour day, 5 days a week excluding school holidays. Teachers should all start on at least 30 000 in my opinion, preferably 35 000.

3. pickles124

As a teaching assistant would i need to plan activities.Sorry if i sound naive but i gathered that teachers were responsible for planning etc. To what extent would i need to plan?

4. palmtree100

Simple answer: depends on the school and your role. You will be under the guidance of the teacher and most things will be planned for you. However, sometimes you might be given a group of children for an intervention and only given general targets. You might have to find resources and come up with activities yourself sometimes.

5. pickles124

I see. And last but not least, i know that some people have done the Level 2/3 training but they did it way back at college which took a year, and had to do this by volunteering for two days. Im not sure how they supported themselves to do this unless they had a partner or a lot of savings in the bank.

Now the school haven't mentioned training as they think im ok with my current experience and qualifications, so i do know about safeguarding, child protection, communication etc.

I have got the Level 3 book and i have been reading it. In other words im doing everything i can to ensure i am prepared but i will always ask if unsure.

6. palmtree100

I wouldn't worry about qualifications in that case, as you will learn a lot from working closely with teachers and attending staff training.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.