1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need some help understanding this- salary for job.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by pickles124, Jan 10, 2017.

1. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

My probation period goes right up to the end of July. At the moment I am on a temporary contract. If I do well it 'might' lead to permanent. I don't know, it just seems pretty long to me if others are saying their probation period was 3 months. :/

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Attempted pm

3. pickles124

Snugglepot- please check your communications on your profile page.

4. garem

garem New commenter

The pay scale in our LEA is up to £16,000 gross for a 37 hour week and for 52 weeks. That is the maximum for an ordinary TA. In our school, qualifications and/or experience do not make any difference; you just get paid for the job you do (no levels2,3,4 etc.) So even qualified teachers get the same rate if they are working as an ordinary TA. Our 1-1 TAs get slightly more but not much and our HLTAs only get HLTA rate for the hours they are working as a HLTA, the rest of their hours are paid at the ordinary rate.

5. garem

garem New commenter

The yearly incremental increases also stop here after 5 years service.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The actual hourly income is barely above the National Minimum Wage, when you analyse it.

Remember that you could claim Working Tax Credit if you are on a low income and Housing Benefit, to assist with rent.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. pickles124

So would there ever really be any point in aiming to become a HLTA in the future, as it was something i thought of aiming for (in the future as i need to gain experience. I thought they were on a good salary but i guess it works on pro rata)

8. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

My experience is exactly the same as garem. HLTAs were only paid the higher hourly rate for the hours that they worked at that level eg covering a class for the teacher's PPA . In our case that would be around 4 hrs pw. As the difference in the hourly rate isn't that much, it doesn't make a huge impact on their salary increase!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. pickles124

I see. Thank-you.

10. garem

garem New commenter

Our experienced TAs decided the HLTA status was not worth it in our school, even though they could have gone down the 3day assessment only route. Our HLTAs are expected to plan, deliver, mark and assess for whole classes as PPA cover for little more pay. Our ordinary TAs take groups (usually 6-8 children); for phonics some groups can be as large as 20; sometimes they also cover a whole class, usually in the unexpected absence of a teacher.
    On the other point of probationary periods, I think our school has had as long as 6 months too. Our 1-1 TAs' jobs are rarely what might be termed permanent as they only last as long as the child is at the school or as long as the funding for that child is available.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

6mth probation, HLTA rate only for hours worked as HLTA. I gave up HLTA as the additional money did not cover the additional work from planning etc. In our LA if you work in a school at a certain grade you can't rise above that grade once you have reached the top point unless you apply for a new job at the higher grade. Some TAs do exactly the same work as others but are paid less it is so unpredictable and unfair. Qualifications don't change what you are paid it is based on the job you apply for.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I worked at a school where HLTAs where paid that rate for all hours, HOWEVER, they were used for PPA cover, covering NQT time, covering subject leadership time, cover sickness absence (so plonked in a class and expected to teach a lesson they hadn't had time to look at) etc etc AND they had the same observation criteria as teachers. Not worth it imo.

Another BUT - schools round here will not pay for the HLTA course, so unless you are already an HLTA, you can't become one. Obviously you can pay for it yourself, but on a TA salary???

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I am a HLTA. I am paid at that rate all the time ( not initially) but can arrive at work to find I am teaching another class just as chocolate says. I don't have the observation criteria though,thank goodness.

We lost quite a bit of money with Single Status so finacially it wasn't really worthwhile but I didn't do it for that reason. Having been a TA for a long time and completed many other courses, I just felt a bit stale and wanted another challenge. The Headteacher at the time didn't agree with it and wouldn't let me do it but when the new Head came he agreed after a year and also encouraged some of the others.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

One of the few things that really makes me furious is HLTAs only being paid at their HLTA rate when they are covering classes!!!!! As I have often said before, are they not using their higher level of skills and experience when they are delivering interventions or supporting children in the classroom? Luckily, I think these split contracts are rarer now and it certainly doesn't happen in our LEA.

15. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Sadly, still happens here! All down to the fact of being paid for the job that you do and not taking into account your qualifications. Actually, we have very few HLTAs in our area now!

16. pickles124

Did you start off on a temporary contract though? What do you think of starting off on a temp contract first? Do many schools do this?

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you were disappointed about the salary, because it wasn't explained to you. I'll have a go here to explain.

A post as a TA, a HTLA or a CS is generally considered part-time because you do not work the hours and the weeks that are worked by a full-time member of administrative staff.elsewhere in the County.

This may also mean that you actually do not get the salary that is advertised, as it will almost certainly be advertised pro-rata.

The TA, CS and HLTA wages are calculated as are the office staff in LEA offices, basically. So there is double part-time factored in when they give you the salary in an advert, then they add pro-rata.

Firstly, as I have said, it is pro-rata for weeks of the year. You do not work the 52 weeks minus holiday entitlement. You only work when schools are open.

Secondly, it is pro-rata for hours per week. You do not work the 38 or 40 or whatever it is hours per week. 8.30 - 3.30, minus lunch, is probably only 30 or so hours a week.

They therefore reduce the advertised salary twice, once for fewer weeks and once for fewer hours.

As you have seen, this can reduce the money substantially.

Let us suppose that it is advertised as £15,000, pro-rata. N.B. This is a very approximate calculation, don't take it as gospel truth!

Reduce it by the weeks: 39 working weeks plus 4 weeks holiday pay. 43/52.

£15,000 x (43/52) = £12,404

Reduce it by the hours: 30 hours instead of 38 per week. 30/38

£12,404 x (30/38) = £9,793

So a salary for a TA, working 8.30-3.30 in term time, advertised as £15,000 pro-rata actually means £9,793.

Before tax and other deductions . . .

It is then divided into 12 equal instalments so that you receive the salary all through the year.

A Big Warning to everyone applying for TA posts: ask, ask ASK what the salary will actually be after they have factored in the two pro-ratas.

Best wishes to you all

palmtree100 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. pickles124

TheoGriff, if you are still online could you PM me? Thanks.

19. pickles124

Hi TheoGriff, if you are online could you PM me. Thankyou.

20. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Round my way most if not all contracts are temporary. Mine was temporary as was another TA who started a few months after me. TAs who started in Sept are on temporary contracts as well.