1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need some guidance

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MUSICJO, Sep 8, 2012.

1. MUSICJO

MUSICJO New commenter

Hello!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the situation. I have been a teacher for 14 years. I trained as a secondary music teacher and I have been a head of department and a head of year. When my daughter came along 2 years ago I went for a more local job so I could be close to home and was offered a year 4/5/6 job in a local primary. I was there for 18 months until my contract ran out and then started a new job in January teaching year 6 but left in June due to sexual harressment from the head which made me really ill.The NUT sorted out my contract and I left has it was so bad. I had to even change my phone number!! I've now had 6 months off and would like to return to teaching. My last reference is an agreed reference from the haressing head and it's fine but very short but I can get a reference from the secondary school I worked in and from a teacher in primary.
    Have I got any chance of ever getting another job again? I did love primary so is it worth me trying?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. MUSICJO

MUSICJO New commenter

Hello!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the situation. I have been a teacher for 14 years. I trained as a secondary music teacher and I have been a head of department and a head of year. When my daughter came along 2 years ago I went for a more local job so I could be close to home and was offered a year 4/5/6 job in a local primary. I was there for 18 months until my contract ran out and then started a new job in January teaching year 6 but left in June due to sexual harressment from the head which made me really ill.The NUT sorted out my contract and I left has it was so bad. I had to even change my phone number!! I've now had 6 months off and would like to return to teaching. My last reference is an agreed reference from the haressing head and it's fine but very short but I can get a reference from the secondary school I worked in and from a teacher in primary.
    Have I got any chance of ever getting another job again? I did love primary so is it worth me trying?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip for next time: write Dear Theo as part of your thread title, as I don't always have time to open every thread.
    Golly, what a horrid situation you've been in! I am glad to hear that you are now feeling much better, and ready to go back to teaching. Let's see what we can do to help you.
    First, we must be clear about what the problems are. Or at least, what they might be.
    Having a short and probably tepid reference from that one school is one of them, but you must give that as one of your referees at present as the rules are your current or most recent employer in a post involving working with children or young people. The way to get over that for a permenent job application is to do supply work, and then use that school as your most recent referee. BUT: the supply agency will want that referee, and some posts ask for references from all employers over last two years. Grrr!
    The second problem is the leaving of a post in June. You will have to explain this because any future employee will look askance and wonder what happened.
    And finally, you have some primary experience but not much, and are secondary trained, at a time when there is a surplus of primary-trained and experienced teachers. Many of whom are a great deal cheaper than you, as NQTs . . .
    Now my suggestion is that you consider the following: and I'll say straight away that if what I am suggesting is not truthful (you know the situation better than I do), then you must not say it, because being honest and truthful is vital in job applications.
    In your letter you consider having a brief, casual mention of leaving before the end of term. Half a sentence. Something along these lines: (After a good bit about the first stint 18 months in the primary school, saying what you did and experience acquired and successes) The school and I were both sorry when the temporary contract came to a close and I took a post in X primary school. A health issue from which I am now completely recovered meant that I left before the end of the school year, but in the period while I was in the school I (say what you did).
    Then, for the references. Consider doing this: put as first referee the Head of the school where you were 18 months. Ask them first! Then your previous Head. And in the letter write: I have put as referees the Heads of X Secondary School and Y Primary School, as they know my work well since I was there for some time. However, if you also wish for a reference from my most recent employer, then Mr Z of W Primary School is also willing to write in support of my application.
    You are then providing them with the referees that they need, and the choice is theirs whom they contact.
    As for all those eager-beaver cheap NQTs, you just have to (a) write a very effective application - see the Welcome thread clickables for advice, and (b) state clearly what it is about you that makes you worth the extra expense. Don't actually mention the word expense, of course! But talk about how you would contribute widely to the school, run this that and the other, look forward to working co-operatively within a team and supporting your colleagues, including mentoring less-experienced ones if needs be.
    Show them how great you would be!
    Best wishes