1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sarah_kh9, Sep 2, 2019.

  1. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

    Hello there.
    I am a student who refuses to study through the university route as I am unwilling to put myself in any form of debt.
    The above is non-negotiable so please bear with me.
    I have 9 GCSEs grades A*-Bs.
    I have four A levels, 2 grade As and 2Bs. I am also a qualified early years level 3 practitioner.
    I have been told to study level 5 education and training with mathematics included and then get a QTLS afterwards. I am told this will enable me to teach in primary schools (as that is what I want to do).

    Is what I am told true? Can I teach primary mathematics with level 5 , QTLS and without attending Uni?

    I know my chances are slimmer than graduates in finding a job but the diploma route is much cheaper.

    Thank you
    Sara x
  2. agathamorse

    agathamorse Occasional commenter

    You need a degree to teach primary.
    pepper5 likes this.
  3. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

    What about the learning through teaching route? Is there absolutely no head teachers that would take on board QTLS ?
  4. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    This site details your training options: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ --- look at the 'Eligibility' section in particular.

    Also, if you want to teach in primary schools you need to spend time in one. If you were to do this you'd realise that while primary teachers may specialise in one subject they generally teach everything in the curriculum (although some may only teach PE or music). Use the opportunity to ask about training as well - you'll find that teacher training is about pedagogy, not subject knowledge, so merely having a level 5 qualification in maths would not be sufficient.

    If you only want to teach maths to primary kids, why don't you familiarise yourself with SATs and 11+ exams etc., and do private tutoring.
    pepper5 likes this.
  5. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

    Thank you
    Yes I have a years experience and will be assisting for another couple of years whilst I complete my level 5 and 6 in education.

    I read I need an undergraduate degree or equivalent to enter primary teaching. I researched the equivalent to be a level 6. Please see image attached.
    Is this correct?

    Attached Files:

  6. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Level 6 qualifications: https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels
  7. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

  8. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

    Considering the above, I have decided to study a level 4+5 diploma in psychology studies eventually moving up to a relevant level 6 and then top it up with an honours course.

    This way I should have a graduate degree equivalent right?
  9. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    I assume it would be sufficient, but if I were you I'd check with a couple of PGCE course providers.
    pepper5 likes this.
  10. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

    Thank you yes I will do that right away.
    I have already spoken to a few universities asking if they would allow me to take a top up course after my foundation degree (level 5 and 6 diplomas) and they have said yes. I told them everything about the course providers , the accreditors, the credits etc and they have said yes we can allow you to carry out a top up course to convert the bachelors to an honours.
    Is a PGCE same as honours or is it a a higher honour?
  11. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    The PGCE is a post-graduate course (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) - so it's above a BA, and on the way to a master's degree.

    A PGCE course will generally include some master's credits, which can be used towards an MA in Education if you wanted to do that later on.
    pepper5 likes this.
  12. sarah_kh9

    sarah_kh9 New commenter

    Thank you
    pepper5 likes this.

Share This Page