1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need of a flash of inspiration...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I am starting adverts and slogans with my year 5 class tomorrow (level range 2a-4a) and want to link it to my earth and space topic, I was thinking about getting groups to advertise different space products e.g. spacesuits, food etc would this work? Also, how would you challenge the more able within the class?
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. That is funny, we're just about to start note making and information texts linked to earth and space!
    Advertising sounds good, after you have taught them a bit about persuasive writing/adverts (obviously.) Then, you can challenge the more able by asking them to included certain features of persuasive writing in their adverst, e.g rhetorical questions, images with captions. Looking at APP level 5C descriptors for Writing, you could:
    * Get them to make direct appeals to persuade the reader,
    * Choose impersonal, persuasive language,
    *Use paragraphs consistently,
    * Use all features of an advertisement,
    * Use complex sentences,
    * Use (and vary position of) clauses in sentences,
    * Use higher level punctuation e.g. hyphens and brackets,
    * Spell regular polysyllabic words correctly,
    * Have neat, consistently joined, personal handwriting.
    I would choose a handful of these, definitely handwriting, spelling and using features of your chosen text type, then may be a few others, depending on the children's abilitites.

3. What did you decide in the end?

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin New commenter

Sorry slightly off topic - my APP sheets don't have separate sub-level descriptors, a low level 5 would just have ticks at four of the AFs (1 to 6). I'm guessing your descriptors are Ros Wilson or something similar? I only question because on the APP sheets I have using paragraphs is only level 4 in AF4, level 5 would relate to their structure and how the paragraphs link together.

On a personal level I don't like the idea you can't be a good writer unless your handwriting is joined.

Back on topic, have you thought about looking at Virgin Galactic's advertising material as a starting point? If you email them they'll send you a load (film, posters, leaflets)

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Agree 100%. You can also have very neat handwriting without it being joined.

As for APP. They don't do sub-levels anyway, or certainly not on the official sheets.

6. I also agree that to be a good writer, you don't need to have joined handwriting. I meant that I would focus on the handwriting being neat and readable.
    Our APP grids are the ones our LA provide us with, and they do have sublevels on them. I'd be more than happy to email them if you want me to. Just send me your email in a private message or leave it on here.