1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need help!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jaye_morrison, Jun 20, 2018.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I think the train of thought is that you can't always guarantee that you will not want to write anything contentious, or that something you have written might not come back to bite you on the rear end one day. Some people will say that this is being a little over reactive and paranoid, but SLT of some schools do trawl through these threads and some schools also have it written into your contract/school handbook that you shouldn't use social media in certain ways.

There are also some more 'risque' threads such as 'personal' and 'workplace dliemmas' which have more edgy conversations and opinions. You can't guarantee that, at some point you want to contribute to these but can't

It's always best to play safe. It is possible to change your name. I'm still waiting for 'Jaye' to confirm whether or not this is a name he is known by.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

If a member of SLT is trawling through this forum then you can bet its not a school i want to be working at, and i will put money on it that they wont be a top tier school.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  3. stopwatch

I would have to disagree. I have been in 2 tier 1 schools where I know that SLT monitored the overseas thread - and also knew the screen names of 2 of the staff. I know this because 1 of them was pulled in for replying to a question on the school.

4. dumbbells66

I stick by what i said. If they are that worried whats being said, and have that much spare time, then its not a school i want to be working at.
    ISR is far worse than this forum, at least there you can be honest and name names.

5. stopwatch

I wasn’t disputing that you wouldn’t want to work there, just that tier 1 schools do monitor these forums,

Ps - still waiting for Jaye :)

6. dumbbells66

Im sure they do

7. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Mmm. I have to say, I wouldn't want my current school to know who I am on here. I love the school but can't promise I will always want to be positive.

I already feel like I walk the line with my username. I chose it back in university but now realise that it is similar to an email I use on applications - possibly overthinking things and SLT are unlikely to make the connection... But who knows?

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am not actually a hippopotamus. (I am really a giraffe, but I thought that some nasty people on the TES make might make fun of me because I am a bit tall.) Instead, they make unkind jokes about hippos being smelly and fat.

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Is participating the same as monitoring? I’m SMT, have been for years. I joined here a couple years before I was promoted, and I continue to participate because I enjoy it. I’v never considered myself as monitoring anything or anyone, but if a teacher I know uses her real name, it would be hard not to notice. I doubt I would do anything about it in real life, but I suppose that probably depends on what was revealed. If the poster shows a general dislike for something or someone, that’s her right. But if she announces her intention to do a runner at the weekend, that would merit a conversation, I suppose.
    I recommend anonymity. One never knows when one will have a delicate matter to post.

I once recognized a colleague on another ed forum. Never said a word in real life.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I do know schools that track staff internet usage and history to see what staff get up to on their computers in school or internet. It is possible to track key strokes and collect all the text staff post on forums.

If you are posting on this webpage and the ISR I recommend using a VPN or your own internet access device.

11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

...no they don't. They make unkind jokes about houses in Bulgaria - hope it's all going well for you Hippo...congrats on the retirement.

tjh102, Mr_Frosty and dumbbells66 like this.
  12. the hippo

Yes, it is absolutely true, rouxx, that some thoughtless people make nasty jokes about houses in Bulgaria. Some even more horrible people make sarcastic comments about my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com, even though I hardly ever mention it at all.

Yes, it is a tough life, as I was saying to Mrs Hippopotamus the other day, as we were having lunch on the balcony of our villa.

balcony lunch small.jpg

treefrog101, T0nyGT, tjh102 and 6 others like this.
  13. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@dumbbells66 - wrong thread, mate.........I think this should be posted to schnitzelhund's (@snitzelvonkrumm) thread "what is a tier one school". Hahaha.

14. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Looks like you have made a good start on the garden. What are you growing?

rideemcowboy likes this.
  15. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

Clearly the need for anonymity disappears upon retirement.

16. the hippo

The need for lots of things disappears upon retirement, Maybe I will wear purple...

T0nyGT, tjh102, tb9605 and 2 others like this.
  17. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I will abandon anonymity upon retirement. Ah, the freedom.

tjh102 likes this.