1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need help!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TexanTeacher2013, Jun 20, 2018.

1. TexanTeacher2013

TexanTeacher2013 New commenter

I am tenaciously trying to find placement in AD. I am a certified teacher in Texas, have 5 years of experience, M.S. in Reading & Writing, and I'm ESL certified. What else do I need? I've applied to Teachaway, Footprints, and some school directly. Very limited responses. Can someone please direct towards the next most appropriate steps.

Thank you for reading this.
    Jaye

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Primary or secondary?
    If secondary, do you have a degree in the subject you wish to teach?

You could ask for some feedback on your applications. Agencies will usually give you a good appraisal of your cv (resume).

A lot of international schools require recent experience of a particular teaching system. British international schools usually require recent experience of the English system.

Please do not use your real name. You will immediately be identified by any prospective employer. Every international school in the world reads this forum.

3. TexanTeacher2013

This isn't my real name. Thank you for the warning though. I didn't know about the various viewers. I am certified Generalist EC-6 with experience teaching English (Reading & Language arts) in 4th & 5th grade. The SOT follows the TEKS curriculum.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The main recruitment season was over months ago. Get all your stuff togather and get ready for when it starts again in September.

5. TexanTeacher2013

Oh ok. Makes sense. Thanks!!!

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Try the bigger agencies like Search Associates.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

So your name isn't Jaye then?

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

There was some jobs advertised on the facebook group "Teachers in UAE (dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah)" on Monday for Abu Dhabi - I'm not sure if they fit with your qualifications but it might be worth a look - been a few posts since then so you may need some scrolling.

9. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

Hi @jaye_morrison
    I've sent you a message.

Go to your profile icon top right of the page, then click on 'Conversations'

10. TexanTeacher2013

No. It isn't my government name.

11. TexanTeacher2013

ok. I'll give them a try.

12. TexanTeacher2013

Will try this too!

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  13. TexanTeacher2013

It's not my government name, no.

14. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Why do you have a government name, as opposed to the name your parents gave you - are you a spook? No don't tell me, coz then you would have to kill me :eek:

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  15. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I would assume it is a bit like in Thailand where there is an "official" name that the government knows about (is on registers and passports etc) and then a nickname which is the one used everyday, often unrelated. An example in Thailand might be someone called Phunnapa but their nickname is Gai. We have a few expat children in my current school who have an official name and are called by something different. I was very surprised when Molly Jones was actually Hope Smith on the register (obviously not real names).

16. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

It's not too different from my students having Chinese names and western names. Though I always think it's a shame that they feel they have to use western names. The only frustration I find with this is when they go back and forth between them and I never know what to call them.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

This is the point I was trying to get to. So if Jaye Morrison is a name by which the OP is known - even if it isn't his government name, then having this as a TES moniker is still not wise

If my government name is Albert Snodgrass, but my friends all call me 'Stopwatch' (or Jaye Morrison), then I wouldn't be using it on here. This has been a recurrent theme for discussion on many posts over the years.

18. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

in response to JM post #1,

TEFL is a popular qualification asked for by employers.

Register with an agency. Some are very pro-active. Jobs are still coming up. Some people who have already accepted an offer have a change of circumstance/heart and do not go.

I got my first international job through an agency.

You can simply google "teacher recruiting agencies"

teacherhorizons is a nice site [note that I am not affiliated with these peeps in any way]

Good luck.

19. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Just my two cents - but the book, No Educator Left Behind. It's on Amazon, very affordable, and just brilliant.
    Some years ago I was looking for a job. Applied to literally hundreds of schools, no replies. Read this book, followed its advice on reworking cv and cover letter, and began getting replies, interviews and, eventually, job offers.
    Good luck!

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  20. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Is a real name or a name that you could easily be identified, only a problem if you write something that a potential employer might find objectionable? If I was an employer I would find much of what is written on many threads as impressive and desirable (in an educational context). If not, perhaps I should consider changing Snitzelvonkrumm? Not because this is my real name but because I spelt it wrong, and that leaves me very open.