1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need help regarding a KS1 child with speech, language and communication difficulties

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by tictactoe1, Sep 5, 2011.

1. tictactoe1

tictactoe1 New commenter

Hiya,

I've just started working 1:1 with a child who has speech, language and communication difficulties.

Does anyone have any advice/resources I could use with this child? I really want to 'enrich' his learning and make it as valuable as possible. I will hate myself if I end up giving him worksheets, haha.

I've already started a learning journal for him which I plan to get him to work towards as much as possible in the spare time we have but other than that I am at a loss.

Any help would be very appreciated!

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

SLCN is a wide area of need and you don't say which sort of problem this child has. Also not quite clear why you will hate yourself if you give him worksheets but want resources.
    Have you looked in the special needs resources under speech and language and then in the Topics blue box where the resources can be grouped? (Should be noted however that the choice between these topics is fairly equivocal in some instances because receptive language should always be checked before going for expression...)
    Send me a PM if you want a specific answer to something and I'll try and help.

3. tictactoe1

tictactoe1 New commenter

Sorry, I realise it's really unclear. He's just come into yr1 and is just about verbal. I've decided (along with the SENCO) o introduce makaton and implement this in his daily routines. His main target is to begin to initiate social interactions and develop motor skills. I've looked at handwriting without tears, but otherwise I'm lost. I do every afternoon with him and the class teacher has nothing prepared anything (she can't until she assesses him properly) so I'm lost with what to do tomorrow afternoon. The worksheets I've been given are just pictures of clowns, etc. I know this is probably seen as a chance to develop his motor skills but I want to give him opportunities to engage with his learning.

I apologse if this is still unclear. I'm unclear about everything myself.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I have sent you a PM.
    If he's new to your school, start somewhere simple as suggested rather than fail. If he was with someone last year, ask what they did. If he has a speech and language therapist, get her on the phone and ask for guidance! Makaton is great. The PECS idea of visual 'time-table' to order your activities is great. Don't talk too much - but make the words count! Good luck.

5. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Makaton is a good idea especially if it can be used during group work so that his peers see it in use and may then also use it.
    A visual timetable can be helpful to aid understanding.and with some planning can be introduced by anyone.
    PECS (Picture Exchane Communication System)can be used to encourage communication but you will need someone who is PECS trained to help you to introduce this as it needs at least two staff to get a child started.
    Keep your language simple. Comment rather than question the child eg if he is playing with a train set say something like "Oh you have the train". rather than asking the child what they are playing with. If they try to say train but don't say it correctly model the word saying yes the train. Don't discourge the child by saying no you mean train. When the child is managing single word utterances model longer phrases eg its the red train.
    To encourage communication, offer the child choices when ever possible. (we often do this at snack time; Wait for answers - look as if you expect the child to answer you and don;t give them what you know you like. in fact if it won't cause the child to have a tantrum make deliberate mistakes eg give him the wrong jacket and see if he will communicate this to you.

6. My son had some group SaLT last year (he was in reception and had SaL delay). They did lots of listening games, turn taking stuff , clapping name rhythms then went on to listening and responding to instructions. They had laminated pictures of a teddy and a doll with clothes that could be bluetacked on they started with things like," please give me the jumper"," please give me the hat" then went to 2 stage instructions like "put the <u>dress</u> on the <u>doll</u>" "give the <u>teddy</u> the <u>shoes</u>". They did similar things with musical instruments and then with some positional stuff "put the<u> doll</u> on the<u> table</u>" "put the<u> bear</u> under <u>the chair</u>". They also encouraged the children to repeat what was being said or to respond to simple questions.
    Most of this focussed on his receptive language and his expressive language has developed from there.

7. tictactoe1

tictactoe1 New commenter

Thank you for all the tips, everyone. I've tried them since everyday and they are definitely helping him become more verbal and confident in speaking (if only I could comprehend what he is saying as well as I want to).