1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need help from gardeners please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, May 5, 2011.

1. I may sound really stupid here, but I know very little about gardening and growing crops (mostly because I don't have a garden - but am really keen to learn!)
    I want to compare UK/African crops and I was wondering if anybody could help me to find out which crops are grown in either/both countries.
    <font face="Arial">I know that these are all grown in Africa, but can anyone helpme to make sure which ones are grown in the UK?</font>
    Bitterberries, Mangoes (no), Jackfruit (no).
    <font face="Arial">Also, can any people think of crops specific to the UK (colder climates) - I'm thinking rhubarb?</font>
    <font face="Arial">Thank you!</font>

2. I may sound really stupid here, but I know very little about gardening and growing crops (mostly because I don't have a garden - but am really keen to learn!)
    I want to compare UK/African crops and I was wondering if anybody could help me to find out which crops are grown in either/both countries.
    <font face="Arial">I know that these are all grown in Africa, but can anyone helpme to make sure which ones are grown in the UK?</font>
    Bitterberries, Mangoes (no), Jackfruit (no).
    <font face="Arial">Also, can any people think of crops specific to the UK (colder climates) - I'm thinking rhubarb?</font>
    <font face="Arial">Thank you!</font>

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Cold climates or the UK specifically? I doubt there's anything grown exclusively in the UK.
    Things that do well in the UK and Northern Europe that aren't usually associated with warm climates include brussels sprouts, leeks, swedes, parsnips, apples, pears, strawberries, asparagus...and probably more....but I couldn't say for sure that these aren't grown in other climates

4. Cold climates really - just to compare differences. Thank you - those sounds good!