1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need help deciding on resignation date.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zcsaa44, Jan 10, 2012.

1. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

My partner moved to an area 2 hours away for work back in October and we only see each other at weekends now which is putting a strain our happiness as we are both now sitting alone in the evenings and things. There are tears every weekend when we go our separate ways and after holidays.

I am now planning to leave where I work and move after the Easter holidays, I have spoken to my head of department to tell say I am leaving as I feel like I am going to cause a headache and so want to give as much notice as possible. My HOF has spoken to the head and they have asked if I could stay till the June half term to make things easier as my year 13 class will have left by then, it has been reasoned that then I will not lose out on the Easter Holidays pay.

When do people think it is best for me to be finding a new Job for? Straight after the Easter Holidays or after the summer half term?

I am in my 3rd year of teaching, have experience of being a supply teacher and teach Geography, with experience of teaching RE. Will be going to Kent with good access to central London via train

2. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

My partner moved to an area 2 hours away for work back in October and we only see each other at weekends now which is putting a strain our happiness as we are both now sitting alone in the evenings and things. There are tears every weekend when we go our separate ways and after holidays.

I am now planning to leave where I work and move after the Easter holidays, I have spoken to my head of department to tell say I am leaving as I feel like I am going to cause a headache and so want to give as much notice as possible. My HOF has spoken to the head and they have asked if I could stay till the June half term to make things easier as my year 13 class will have left by then, it has been reasoned that then I will not lose out on the Easter Holidays pay.

When do people think it is best for me to be finding a new Job for? Straight after the Easter Holidays or after the summer half term?

I am in my 3rd year of teaching, have experience of being a supply teacher and teach Geography, with experience of teaching RE. Will be going to Kent with good access to central London via train

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.
    An interesting reason given by HOF.
    If you hand in your notice by 29 Feb, you will get paid until 30 April. Or until the start of the summer term in your new school, if you go to another teaching post.
    When are your Easter hols, then?
    Staying until the end of May you will get 1 week holiday pay for half term. Staying until the end of the summer term, you will get 1 week at half term plus 6 or 7 weeks in the summer, all paid.
    Leaving June half term is worst for holiday pay.
    I would suggest last teaching day, 1st June. Last pay date: 30 June.
    Good luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

Easter is from Sat 31st March till Sunday 15th April. I assume if I hand in my notice I will be paid up till the end of march, I was secretly hoping my resignation would take effect on Friday the 13th of April so I would get half a pay packet in April but I guess this is not how it works

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you will be paid until end of April. That is the official leaving date. They could ask you to come back until 30 April if you are not working in another school, although schools rarely do.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

So when would I give my leaving date as, I would be working up till the Easter Holidays with the last working day the 30th March. Does that count as my leaving date or the last day of the Easter Holidays, the 13th. I thought I would put the 13th down as the day my resignation takes effect but I only assumed this because people I know who have been starting new jobs in September have given the last day of the summer holidays as their leaving date(I think).

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Easter is a funny one because it moves about. Technically, a resignation by the end of February entitles you to leave on 30th April, but an exception is made that if you are moving to another school, you finish at your old school on the day before term starts at the new one. As said above, the school can expect you to work through to 30th April if you are not moving to another school, although presumably if you manage to secure a new post that wouldn't apply. I don't know how that would work if you don't secure the new post until after the resignation, though.
    In practice, forcing someone to continue to 30th April often makes no sense, as it's easier to get the new appointee in at the start of term - which is probably why it often doesn't happen. But if they're annoyed that you're refusing to stay longer, and they've not got a good solution to cover the year 13s, possibly they would try.
    As far as the letter goes, maybe: "I would like to resign with effect from 13th April. I understand that if I am not moving to another school, technically the resignation date is 30th April, but as I am actively applying for both permanent posts and supply work in my new area, I am hoping that this will not be the case." There's something to be said for putting something in your resignation letter addressing the year 13 issue: "Although obviously the timing may concern the year 13 group, by that point we will have completed (most of) the syllabus, and I will leave [whatever might be helpful] to enable my replacement to take things from there."
    (Actually, you should maybe check term dates in the new area - if you do get a new post, it is the start of term at the new school which matters, not the end of the holidays at yours. They might not be the same.)