1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need advice...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by VelvetChalk, Mar 7, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hi,

I am a Primary NQT who has been supply teaching for over a year and I have applied for over 50 jobs without getting a single interview. I have had an excellent 1 and a half term placement without completing induction (continual sickness cover) yet I did all my classes reports, a parents evening, did extra curricular things, mentored a BTEC student and was successfully observed by Ofsted. I am often asked for by name and have very good feedback from schools I have supplied in. I love teaching and I am passionate about my chosen career and I constantly update myself with developments in teaching. As headteachers I am asking what do you look for when reading through applications and what sets apart those that you shortlist? I appreciate how busy you all are and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! :)

2. From my point of view in a secondary SEN independent. I look for enthusiasm, innovation, commitment and lateral thinking. Evidence that you have been successful in your approach to teaching your subjects. Don't start more than one sentence with I/My and be completely ruthlessly accurate in spelling and punctuation.
    Take heart it's horrible out there at the moment and I don't envy anyone trying to find work.
    (top tips following - many years ago I worked in recruitment [​IMG] - get your application in by hand on the last day in the afternoon claiming that you only just heard about the role and you would really like to work there - it will be one of the first read before they get jaded and if you make a good impression on the receptionist/secretary it never hurts - never take more than a day putting together an application or it stops being fresh, always write a new application for each position, at least in part)
    Good Luck

3. dancingdora

dancingdora New commenter

I am a primary deputy. I often short list. If you would like me to look over your application and give you some tips, let me know.

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Thanks everyone for taking time to give me advice, I really appreciate it and will definitely take on board all the suggestions. Blackdog and Dora is it ok if you PM a contact email so I can send you my application statement? Again, thank you for taking the time to look over it.