1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need advice from a Head Teacher is my career over?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by AutumnRed, Jun 26, 2019.

1. AutumnRed

AutumnRed New commenter

Dear Head teacher

I have been working in Education for over 20 years.

Recently working outside of schools.

Never missed a day or had a problem. Or been a problem.

Last year I set up a company, got approval from the D of E, tax registered etc.

All above board.

Did not tell employer, should have both on reflection and due to contract.

They have reported me to police,questioned but not charged. My company was bidding for work from my employer.

Police have said they are unsure if a crime has been committed, lawyer says no crime, barrister says its rediculous. No crime has been committed.

I have been allowed to resign.

Will not be reprorted to Teaching standards.

But Fraud has been mentioned.

If I was to be charged with Fraud and convicted, would I ever be employed as a teacher again?

Mental health going.

Am I finished?

Thank you.

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It all depends on the school and your LA and the severity of the ‘crime’- from what you’ve said it doesn’t appear that you have committed a crime, however, I do not know the full situation.
    I can see why fraud has been mentioned though- they might think that you have been ‘dodging’ tax payments- I think it’s best for you to seek legal advice immediately over this situation.

In regards to your career, you should be ok- just be cooperative and honest, it will work better for you then and you’ll get the best outcome possible. If you are caught lying then it could have repercussions on your job and future.

3. AutumnRed

AutumnRed New commenter

Dear Judge

I am not doing terribly well at the moment with all that has happened.

I'm not looking for reassurance but honesty and insight, thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

I had registered with HMRC and the business was registered with D of E.

I guess I am constantly looking at the worst scenario.

If I was to be charged, found guilty etc

Would a head ever consider me for a job?

Has anybody every employed a person like this?

With a criminal record!

If I were to apply for a job after it's all over would it be better to contact a Head before applying for a job?

4. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I cannot see a problem if you have not been charged. Surely then there is no criminal record ?

5. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hi,
    It may impact your chances within your Local Authority as your reputation (even unfounded) may precede you. Having said that I have employed a teacher with a disclosure; I ensured the Local Authority were made aware and governors discussed before offering the role.