1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need a web host that will host 10 websites and give 10 website domains

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by msa969, Mar 8, 2010.

1. msa969

msa969 New commenter

I am teaching unit 13 GCE Applied ICT for A level.
    A lot of my students are struggling with uploading their sites to a web host.
    Does anybody know a good web host that will host 10 websites and give 10 webiste domain addresses for a cheap price (note school budget etc)

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Why do you need domain names when you can use a free service with no advertising like brinkster? It has a nice control panel to upload and download files and if you need help they have a good resource bank. In my experience their support team will answer student questions within 24 hours, even on the free acoounts.
    http://www.brinkster.com/FreePkgLanding.aspx

3. msa969

msa969 New commenter

Thank you djphilips1408 I will try this site immediately.

4. msa969

msa969 New commenter

Hello djphilips1408 I am looking at this site.
    My students have already created their websites. All they now need is web hosting and a domain name. Does this website provide this? Because I feel that brinkster only provides creating of a new website using their templates similar to google sites?

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I am not sure why you think this, once they have registered and got a username they just use the file manager to upload what they have made in class. They will be given a domain name like www.brinkster.net/username and hye presto whack that URL into your browser and the sites will live. Of course one proviso is that you first page is called index.html and it is case senstive if I recall correctly.

6. msa969

msa969 New commenter

Hello djphilips1408 I got one student to create an account and uploaded one file to the server. However we were not able to see the file so I spent an hour on the faq etc and found that you have to wait say about 48 hours is that right?

Thank you in advance

7. I realise this is an old post, but you might be interested in this
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/494984/6791319.aspx#6791319