1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need a real-life context for Maths Rounding and Converting - help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hummingbird21, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Aloha all

I'm a student teacher in Y4 and my mentor and link tutor are observing me this Friday. This week I've been teaching the children rounding, measuring and converting, but on Friday they want to see this applied to a real-life context.

The learning has been across Science, Maths and P.E, with the children collecting data on their heights, lengths of bones, heart rates and rates of growth throughout the different year groups.

Can anyone think of any amazing and outstanding ideas to apply some of these measurements to a real-life context where the children can take the learning as far as they'd like? My mentor really likes creative and engaging learning where the chn really take control, so please help, as last time it was a fail of epic proportions and this is my second go...don't want to ever see the word 'inadequate' again.

Mahalo plenty you lovely lot of geniuses!

2. Aloha all

I'm a student teacher in Y4 and my mentor and link tutor are observing me this Friday. This week I've been teaching the children rounding, measuring and converting, but on Friday they want to see this applied to a real-life context.

The learning has been across Science, Maths and P.E, with the children collecting data on their heights, lengths of bones, heart rates and rates of growth throughout the different year groups.

Can anyone think of any amazing and outstanding ideas to apply some of these measurements to a real-life context where the children can take the learning as far as they'd like? My mentor really likes creative and engaging learning where the chn really take control, so please help, as last time it was a fail of epic proportions and this is my second go...don't want to ever see the word 'inadequate' again.

Mahalo plenty you lovely lot of geniuses!

3. what is your topic this term?

4. It's on our town and its secret history and basically how great it is. It's a rural town with a bit of history, so I can see where you're going with this! Like it! Thanks!

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi Hummingbird21! Here is a link to your PE.
    Get them outside and prepare a set of markers (laminated a4 folded in half is fine) that show 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 30, etc, up to 100. Lay them out along the 100m track that your school field or playground will hopefully have.
    Ask children to roll two dice and to stand where they think that 2-digit number is - they need to estimate unless the second digit is a 5.
    Now ask them to run to the nearest multiple of 10. How do they decide? What if they are halfway? This activity can obviously be changed using different units, but the idea of getting them to run along a number line is an important one for embedding their visual imagery - hope this helps. Email me if you are not clear where you could take this - I am info at andrewjeffrey dot co dot uk.