1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need a plan but I don't know what I want!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lorla4, Mar 8, 2020.

1. lorla4

lorla4 New commenter

The problem is I don't know where I want to be in a few years time. I like where I work on the whole. I'm currently in a job share and have been able to do a job share for the last 5 years since I returned from mat leave.
    However, after returning from my second mat leave towards the end of last academic year, it hasn't quite been the same. A very bumpy start to this year due to new team and new job share, working out all the links, and I know take on a cover role for 1 morning a week.

I keep my eye out on job adverts but I'm going to be picky as I'm not moving for the sake of it.

3 adverts I saw that piqued my interest

1- local authority music teacher (going out to schools and teaching music in primary)

2- SENCO

3- PPA cover in a special needs school.

These all are clearly very different and it made me realise I really don't know what I want. I'm not even 100% sure I want to move!

So my current school is my second school. This is my 8th year but that includes 2 mat leaves. So I'm 12 years in. I'm only on main pay scale, as due to accelerated professional development at our school of lots of young single teachers who have no little ones to think about (not saying it can't be done but it certainly helps you get up the ladder) the school policy has made it difficult for me to get through threshold as they basically can't afford it.

I've changed subject lead pretty much every year I've taught and this is the first time I've taught a year group in a consecutive year (but with a mat leave in between).

We are hoping to move house in a couple of years, and we could potentially go into another LA with sometimes different holidays. My eldest is already in school so if we were on different term dates it would have an effect on us.

Maybe I just need a change. I don't know. I was hoping writing it down would make it clearer but it hasn't. Sorry if this is a waffle.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

If you're not sure what to so and you sort of like where you are, stay for now until you find an advert that you really want to apply for.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. NettieO

NettieO New commenter

I came here just to offer some sympathy as I am in a similar position to you at the moment. Like SCAW12 said, I would wait until a position comes along that really jumps out at you. If you are happy where you are at the moment, you have the benefit of time to looks carefully at schools and decide if they're for you. Since you job share, it may be worth using some of your free weekdays to look around schools which have a vacancy. Two out of the three jobs you mention are special needs related. Perhaps look into spending a morning once a week in a special school on a volunteer basis to see if it's for you? Best of luck :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My first reaction to your sad situation is that you are indeed really really confused, badly so.

Which is why you are finding any decision making so very difficult.

Just look at those 3 jobs. Three completely different things. Do you really have the qualifications, skills and experience for chalk, cheese and, oh I dunno, chicken-farming? They might have appealed to you, but be honest here. Would your application appeal to the selection committee?

This is what I suggest. You need to be clear about (a) what you want to do and (b) what you can do.

Get 3 A4 sheets, one for each job. List firstly for each the Job Description and tick those aspects that appeal to you. Then list the Person Specification and tick those where you comply.

That might help you see through this confusion of chalk, cheese and chicken farming for starters!

Then see how many of those appealing ticks apply to your current post, or you might make them apply.

If very few, then you need to look for jobs where both the appeal and compliance with their requirements fit you like a glove.

Best wishes

phlogiston likes this.
  5. lorla4

lorla4 New commenter

Thank you.

Yes I am thoroughly confused and realised when I looked back at these jobs! Like you say, very different roles needing very different skills.

Having had a think over the weekend, I realised that 2 of them are grasping at straws.

I used to be passionate about music but not so much anymore, having no even taught it in 2 years due to mat leave and being a job share, it wouldn't be the right move for me now.
    As for SENco, I'd need more experience under my belt of leadership as well as knowing more about the role to begin with.
    I think I'm just butting my head against threshold and not getting very far. Plus I've finished having babies so looking to move forward a bit in my career.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Threshold no longer exists as such. It dates back to the good old days when a teacher passed through it and could never return. Now, when you leave a job, your entitlement to the Upper Pay Range goes. However, there have to be rules for going onto the Upper Pay Range, which your school should document and follow. If are under STPCD (are you?) then you should be able to find out why your applications (assuming you have been applying) to move up have been rejected. This should help you with future applications. You haven't said exactly what the policy which stops you moving up is, but there might be a way of getting round it. So, I suggest that you try to put together a good application before the summer. If there is a sympathetic SMT member who could help, that would be very useful. When I applied for Threshold, when it did exist, a DH took the trouble to go though my application and point out possible weaknesses before I submitted it formally, so getting it accepted was a formality.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So you need to sort out your priorities, which I guess are:
    Supporting your family including earning enough money to keep food in the fridge and a roof over your heads.
    Child friendly working hours and holidays.
    Professional development
    Less of the day to day grind?
    So you want something that's not all absorbing so you can raise your family. Nothing wrong with that, although many of us know folk who behave as it that's all wrong.
    I would look at your school - see if there are any PD roles that you could do and talk to your head about putting yourself forward.
    Polish the CV
    Look at job ads, focusing on the job and person descriptions
    Good luck