1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I need a new broadband provider

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargoyle770, Jan 22, 2011.

1. The company that currently provides my broadband is going at the end of the month. They've suggested transferring my account to Sky, but when I contacted them Sky said they couldn't process my order (for reasons I really didn't understand).
    So now I need to find a new broadband provider. I hate making decisions like this - there are so many to choose from and I don't know how to choose one.
    What helped you make up your mind?

2. The company that currently provides my broadband is going at the end of the month. They've suggested transferring my account to Sky, but when I contacted them Sky said they couldn't process my order (for reasons I really didn't understand).
    So now I need to find a new broadband provider. I hate making decisions like this - there are so many to choose from and I don't know how to choose one.
    What helped you make up your mind?

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm with BT.No idea if others are cheaper/better. BT works and I've never had any major problems.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm BT too - never had a single blip in service.

5. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Virgin are good

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I am with BT too and they have been ace, even when there was a slight problem (which turned out to be something wrong with my laptop not the BB) the tech support was ace and he talked me through resetting codes on my laptop.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've had a catalogue of problems with BT. Never ever going there again. I've been cut off 3 times because they are incapable of getting their accounts together and a friend has experienced worse.
    When you have an issue with your phone or broadband, you'd like it to be sorted promptly. With BT this involves speaking to someone in India you can't understand, spending hours in phone queues and incessant delays whilst they pass you to another deparrtment where you have to repeat the same tale over and over again.
    Do yourself a favour and go with a small company. I went with Plusnet and the service has been great to date. They explained in detail what I was signing up for, didn't try to oversell and were there on the line from Yorkshire when I needed a question answered.
    Still couldn't understand all they they said though, but it was far more familiar.

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Happy with Virgin x

9. cleversparkle

cleversparkle New commenter

I used to work for Plusnet before I trained as a teacher. I can honestly say that they care about their customers and, if something's wrong at their end, they won't try to fob you off.

They're now my provider of choice (even if they are part of BT now!)

10. Virgin - no probs.

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

put it this way £30 for TV phone and Internet with virgin

if there is an issue virgin will send a wee man around to sort it without a added fee.

wins hands down for me, and i am on my 4th virgin account, (Internet, all singing and dancing, Internet via phone line, now on the £30 package) due to house moves.

12. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Although you never know if they will stay this way, at the moment Virgin (unlike Sky and BT) will not compromise your privacy and hand over your personal details to sharks and lawyers wanting to get cash for improper use of the net.

13. My mother is with Virgin and has had awful problems, so it seems to vary considerably. It took endless telephone calls to get them to sort a problem out - each time they would insist on going through the resetting routine, eventually agree that it needed someone to come out. No-one came. 'Phoned again. Resetting routine all over again ... and again ... and again ...

14. Thank you all for your replies.
    It seems that for every person who is happy with a company's service there is another who isn't!

15. Maybe try this?
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

16. I am with Virgin, have been since they were NTL. No problems at all. My Dad is with Talk Talk and they have been a nightmare - several episodes of faulty lines/no broadband for weeks on end, despite endless calls from me, day in day out.

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Plusnet are great. They really do have excellent customer service, which is why we chose them ad it has proved to be true.

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Virgin excellent
    £25 a month for 10Mb broadband, TV, home phone with 24/7 inclusive calls and also free calls from home to Virgin mobile (I get £19 month discount after telling them I wanted same deal that my brother-in-law was getting from them!)
    Service very, very good.

19. Smart move!
    I wonder if that would work for me?
    "Hello, Virgin? I'd like the same deal Giraffe and Giraffe's brother-in-law are getting please!"

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Well, that's actually what I said.
    I told them he was gloating about his deal and I would like the same, thank you very much!