1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I must be getting old...!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daffodilval, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Not having an awful lot of cash but greatly in need of a break, I researched coach holidays, Can't quite believe how cheap they are.5 days in Torquay, half board plus 1 excursion..£109, and thats at Easter..
    Part of me thinks WOW, then part of me thinks, are these breaks just for the elderly generation?
    Am I getting old or what?

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Fawlty Towers
    <u>the</u> holiday destination

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

My mum and dad go on those ... I suspect the age profile might be quite ... senior!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

why should you worry..may older folk are really good company.and once our there you can do your own thing
    Dotn worry about it.use the situation to your own advantage !

5. Hmmm, just checked out the hotel on Trip Advisor...Faulty Towers look alike!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, but coach trips can be fun. Can't vouch for the breakfasts, though.
    I think it's a great deal. If you eat out, it's still good value.

[fond memories of bingo sessions with mr inky's mum in a hotel in Jersey...]

7. Wilfreda Beehive are brilliant, and no they are not just for oldies. I like them because we can both relax, no one has to drive anywhere and so much is taken out of your hands. Haven't been on one for ages though. We have stayed in 4-star hotels, breakfasts fine (in France).

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

My long legs make travelling by most forms of train, coach or bus a very uncomfortable experience, so i would not consider it. Apart from that have you ever caught a bit of the programme called "Coach Trip"?

9. I have been on coach trips to Europe as my wife doesn't fly.
    They are great value.
    Yes, the clientelle are on the older side but who cares? Most of the people I have met on these trips are warm and friendly. You can choose which excursions you go on and most of the coaches these days are very comfortable.

10. Who did you check with ,please.
    Fancy something cheap and cheerful for a week with grandson in the summer. I love Torquay.

11. Dipsue..I just googled my local coach holidays..there was 3 to choose from in my area.
    Most of the reviews I read were positive, so we might just give it a go..Been to Torquay once, loved it, esp the day we had across the bay in Brixham, lovely old fishing harbour...

12. Thankyou, will google see what,s on offer.

13. They ARE great value for money.
    When my Mum was alive me and my sisters would take her on a coach trip in the spring - it was a yearly event - and we ALWAYS enjoyed them and have seen quite a lot of England, Scotland and Wales as a result.
    The coaches are about 80% full of OAPs I'd say...(Mum was one) but on every tour we've done there have been younger couples. The drivers (on commision) stop en-route at places you'd perhaps not go to yourself - like clothing outlets or tiny touristy spots. pottery places/craft shows and of course once there regular day trips by coach to nearby bigger towns/resorts are offered. They are usually included in the price of the holiday.
    The hotels offered tend to be bog-standard/cosy/dated rather than flash places but the food, though not gourmet standard, has always been more than adequate. We liked the fact that we got to see so much (just think of the petrol costs if you were driving!) without any of the hassle of map-reading/driving/parking. Very restful.
    And..many of the OAPs were great fun. It wasn't always about ballroom dancing and bingo.
    I'd give it a go. It's such a cheap holiday and you pack a lot into the days you are away.

14. Many years ago when I was eighteen. I went on holiday to Torquay with a friend. While there we booked a mystery trip by coach. We were the only people under 50, the mystery trip was a pub crawl of beautiful picturesque villages and that was the best night of our holiday bar none. The oldies determined to 'look after us kiddies' and had us in hysterics all night. And of course being dragged up right proper, we were on best behaviour, manners to the fore, mind yer Ps and Qs.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Glad you enjoyed your hols.
    I do like it when posters give us all a follow up like this. [​IMG]