1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I missed a call from agency yesterday. Will this look bad?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm an NQT on supply.
    I had 2 teaching assistant roles last week (taking what i can get) but i wasnt available friday or yesterday due to holiday which i informed agency of.

Driving home yesterday and at quarter past 4 went to watch a movie in the cinema.
    I came out at 7pm to a missed call from agency at half 4.
    I text my agent (as texting is what this agency uses as contact) saying basically sorry i missed your call and said my availibility again.

Anyway, im feeling a bit anxious this morning that i couldve had work had i not gone to the cinema, and i keep thinking ive made a bad impression and i wont get calls now.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Please stop worrying about missing calls from agencies. The agency knows that people have a life outside of waiting for them to ring.

Believe me, life is way too short to worry about a missed call. It happens all the time and the only way you will make a bad impression is if you do a bad job or dont take care with your work.

3. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Really,don't worry about it. I am with a few agencies/have taught supply more years than I care to mention and most know by now to text me as well as call. I often miss calls, either because I''m teaching, in class and go figure, they can't work out why you can't answer the phone every waking hour or because I've got work with someone else or I've been in the shower or elsewhere. Add your agency as 'contact' on your mobile phone so you recognise the number when they call and I usually call back and say I think someone called me but I missed it. Usually it's just for 'standby' the following day or something similar. My main agency know to text me and say, " I have work for you, call me back" which works the best. Especially as they usually tell me what day(s) it's for so I have a brief text time window to decide whether to take the assignment or not! Of course, then it's still your call whether to take the work or not. Remember YOU are the contractor, you are calling the shots, flexibility should be the whole benefit of Supply, goodness knows there's enough downsides! As long as you are straightforward, open and honest with your agency about how you want to work they can't really say anything about how much or how little you choose to do.

JohnJCazorla, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.