1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I made thing...

Discussion in 'English' started by OneLooseCrank, Jun 24, 2019.

1. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

So, I get asked all the time by students, "why do I need to do English, I can already read and write / what's the point / what even is English anyway". And I actually enjoy this discussion because it gives me a moment to extol the virtues of the subject. I try not to lecture them; I feel their question is perfectly valid and in no way an insult.
    I'm also toying with the idea of a department handbook for students which will bring together the sort of things we have traditionally had students stick into the front or backs of their books. And I've attempted in to make some sense in broadest terms what English is as a subject diagrammatically which would be part of this student handbook. I'm quite pleased with the way it presents the relationship between reader and writer and also exam Section A and exam Section B.
    I thought I'd share it and see what the community thinks. Be as brutal as you like!
    OLC

Attached Files:

blueskydreaming likes this.
  2. allygator78

allygator78 New commenter

Thank you for this - I really like it! What else would you include in a student handbook? It is an interesting idea.

3. OneLooseCrank

Cool :)
    We typically stick a mark scheme and an assessment tracker into their books. The mark scheme never gets used (because it is teacher speak of [some/clear/consistent/sophisticated xyz], which isn't guidance on how to move up bands), and the assessment tracker is seen as a chore. Reflectively, neither of these really help them to improve or develop, and are not things you would turn to before an assessment.
    I'm planning a page for each AO with key phrases they can use in their work to ensure they're hitting the AO, a model essay (annotated) and a glossary of terms. Maybe just one or two handbooks printed for each table that they can have upon request - or for when students are saying 'I don't know how to do this'.

4. seamstressless

seamstressless New commenter

I'm planning a 'markscheme' with example responses for each band... but who knows when that will happen??!!

I like the key phrases idea... I wonder if that's something that can be differentiated...

5. OneLooseCrank

Sure, I'll share what I do: for AO, the easiest response to write is to explain the topics of the text. The next level is to understand the author's attitude on each topic. The hardest level would be to recognise the different purposes (primary, secondary, overt and covert).
    For AO2, definitions are the lower technique and inference is the higher technique. Nomenclature for bonus marks.
    You can easily provide sentence starters that are universal to all responses for each of these layers within the AOs.