1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I made scones!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dozymare1957, Jun 17, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Yes, really. TBH they don't look like scones. They look more like little buns with rounded tops. They are crispy on the outside - not burnt but not a scone texture. They taste yummy though, even without butter.
    Youngest and I worked hard. We doubled the quantity of ingredients because 12 scones wouldn't touch the spot with my brood. We actually made 32. They are not cold yet but there are only 20 left! Middle took two and then came back for another three.
    While these were cooling we made Jo's lemon meringue pie. We followed her advice and bought a pastry case. When I opened it, it had a dome in the middle. Yes, I poked it and so it ended up with a hole in the bottom![​IMG]. There was so much meringue mixture that we dolloped six spoonfuls on a baking tray and shoved them in the oven too. I wasn't sure about when to take them out. The meringue was still soft but I stuck a skewer in and it came out clean (I know that you do this with cake so I thought it might be the right thing to do). I'm hoping that the meringue will crisp up a bit as they cool.
    I also chopped up all the veg in the fridge - carrots, leeks, squash, aubergines, red pepper and orange pepper and chucked them in a big roasting tin a la Primary Cat. There were some sugar snap peas too so I threw them in.
    We've had a very productive hour and a half. I don't think I'd want to do this too often but I did it today because I didn't want to go to Tesco so decided to use up everything in the fridge.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You are a cooking whizz - well done !

Scones sound yummy - I'll be round with some jam and cream!

Meringues - the top of a lemon meringue you cook quickly at a high temperature so it stays marshmallowy underneath. Individual merigues you cook long and slow, at a really low temperatute to dry them out, so your dollops may not crisp but will be edible and taste good, I am sure!

We've got roasted veg down for one night later on this week too.

Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

3. dozymare1957

Youngest just tasted individual meringue. He immediately spat it out and said, "It tastes like vomit" I tried a bit and have to agree![​IMG]
    Haven't plucked up courage to try the LM Pie.[​IMG]

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

How can it taste like vomit? It's egg white and sugar...

5. dozymare1957

That's exactly what I thought when he said it, but it did. The outside didn't taste of anything but the middle bit .............

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Woohoo!
    Well done Dozy! I'll be round in a while with my leftover clotted cream!

7. dozymare1957

Oh I love clotted cream.
    I scraped the meringue off the top of the LM Pie. It wasn't very nice. The lemony bit was yummy and the (shop bought) pastry base was OK.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Tell us your meringue recipe, let's see if we can work out what went wrong.

9. dozymare1957

Four egg whites plus six tablespoons of sugar. I followed Jo South Yorks' recipe to the letter. If the lemon had tasted funny I'd have said the eggs were off but it was yummy. I also used an egg from the same box in the scones which are also yummy.
    The splodge ones smelt awful as well as tasting of vomit. The stuff on the pie smelt fine and didn't taste bad but it wasn't particularly nice. The pie was better without it.

10. egyptgirl

Dozy, please don't take this the wrong way but was your bowl completely clean/grease-free?

11. dozymare1957

It was a plastic bowl that I had mixed the scones in and then washed out. Should I have used a bowl made from a different material?

12. egyptgirl

I'm not a meringue expert but I do know that the bowl has to be completely grease-free for it to work properly - I usually pour a kettle of hot water over my bowl before I make a meringue to ensure it doesn't have any grease in it.

13. dozymare1957

Well, it seems that I'm the only one who really liked it so I doubt if I'll make it again but I'd like to give Pavlova a go so I'll remember this tip. Thanks.

14. egyptgirl

Dozy, just do what I do when Mr EG pulls one of his famous faces - whip up some double cream, crumble the meringues in and add some fruit...voila - Eton Mess!

15. dozymare1957

Honestly, EG, the meringue was inedible. It wouldn't have crumbled either. It was soggy.
    If Mr DM pulled a face about anything I cooked he'd be wearing it[​IMG] He's not really a pudding person and he doesn't like lemon so he hasn't tried the pie. He loved the scones though.

16. Sorry the meringue didnt work :(
    On the plus side though, if you have taken the meringue off the top, you basically have Tarte au Citron :)

17. egyptgirl

There's always next time! Took me a couple of attempts to get meringue right too!

18. dozymare1957

Oh I just love tarte au citron and it's much more grown up and fancy than lemon meringue pie.
    I suspect that EGs analysis was correct about the bowl being greasy after making the scones.

19. egyptgirl

Dozy, inspired by you I made some scones last night - haven't made any for ages...forgotten how quick and easy they are to make! Look forward to one with strawberry jam, clotted cream and a strawberry from the garden on in front of the TV later!

20. Last time I looked in here Dozy you were reluctant to go near an oven - I am sure the meringues will work next time and I agree that the bowls need to be squeaky clean.
    I came across the Hairy Bikers the other day with Mum's know best (or something) recipes - lovely easy family cooking, the cakes one Mum made looked great and worth a try.