1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I?m dyslexic and I want to teach...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fayebuttery, Mar 21, 2012.

1. My name is Faye and as part of my BaEd project I am currently researching attitudes towards teachers with dyslexic tendencies. I wondered if anyone has any experiences, positive or negative, they would want to share. Whether you?re a trainee of 40 years in the profession it would be great to hear from you. How do you feel others have perceived your dyslexic tendencies and what way others attitudes have affected you? Are you open about any support you may need? Are children/parents/staff aware? _____________________________________________________________ Deciding to go into teaching was always my dream and I never considered that fact that being dyslexic would be that much of an issue until University when my abilities were questioned and I lost confidence. I have since regained some self confidence due to fantastic mentors on placements. the conversations on TES forums previously inspired me to research this area further as well as offered me support in my first years at uni. ____________________________________________________________ Below is a link to a questionnaire that I have created specifically for staff with dyslexic tendencies working in the classroom. Feel free to add in your own comments, all the questions you can skip if you feel you don?t want to answer them or share your experiences here in the forum. ____________________________________________________________ http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LNIJIG_7c89b242 ____________________________________________________________ . Faye ____________________________________________________________ fayebuttery@hotmail.co.uk

2. My name is Faye and as part of my BaEd project I am currently researching attitudes towards teachers with dyslexic tendencies. I wondered if anyone has any experiences, positive or negative, they would want to share. Whether you?re a trainee of 40 years in the profession it would be great to hear from you. How do you feel others have perceived your dyslexic tendencies and what way others attitudes have affected you? Are you open about any support you may need? Are children/parents/staff aware? _____________________________________________________________ Deciding to go into teaching was always my dream and I never considered that fact that being dyslexic would be that much of an issue until University when my abilities were questioned and I lost confidence. I have since regained some self confidence due to fantastic mentors on placements. the conversations on TES forums previously inspired me to research this area further as well as offered me support in my first years at uni. ____________________________________________________________ Below is a link to a questionnaire that I have created specifically for staff with dyslexic tendencies working in the classroom. Feel free to add in your own comments, all the questions you can skip if you feel you don?t want to answer them or share your experiences here in the forum. ____________________________________________________________ http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LNIJIG_7c89b242 ____________________________________________________________ . Faye ____________________________________________________________ fayebuttery@hotmail.co.uk

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Dyslexia is such a vague term with no clear definitions that I have no particular views on "dyslexic teachers" in general. However, it would be a problem for me if a teacher did have significant reading, writing, or spelling difficulties which affected their ability to teach my child well. If they could teach my child to read, spell and write well it would, of course, not be a problem. But if they couldn't, it would be problem, just like with any other teacher, dyslexic or not.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I worked for a head teacher who is dyslexic. She was entirely open about it. She was/is an inspiring person to work with and an outstanding HT.
    The point as mystery10 makes is whether your dyslexia will prevent you from being able to teach children to read, write and spell. If it will, then unfortunately, teaching at primary level isn't for you. If not, then no problem.

5. If you are aware of the problem and can work round it, then I don't see that it is a problem. I am sure that we have a teacher who is dyslexic in our school, but is in denial. That is a problem. How would you teach phonics if you don't have an understanding of how words are put together? If you are aware and open about this, you could find a way round it. Can you link with other teachers and class swap for these things? I can teach most primary subjects, but my weak areas are music and PE. I am strong in Maths, English and Science, so I do class swaps with other teachers who can teach my weak subjects better than me. How can I teach throwing and catching when I can't do it myself?