1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I love this time of year!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Aug 3, 2011.

1. In spite of the fact that I am dissolving from the heat in the kitchen, I am so pleased.......
    I have made: 8 jars wild plum jelly, 7 jars spiced w.p. jelly, 11 jars bramble jelly, 3 jars bramble cheese, 6lbs plum chutney, 2 plum cakes and frozen 8lbs brambles and 9 lbs plums.
    There are lbs and lbs of berries and plums still to pick! I love it even though I have no idea where I am going to store all this. Oh, I have also made bramble gin but have every intention of making more!
    Sloes next month and then hedgerow jam with what's left. *satisfied sigh*

2. I forgot crab apples - although it doesn't seem to be as good a year as last. I should still be able to find enough to make herb jellies: sage, rosemary and mint. My tarragon was sold to me as French and it is Russian , therefore useless. I had my doubts at the time........

3. My tarragion is Russian too - blech!
    And we've never found crabapples in the hedges round here. Wonder if one of the farmers markets will have any?
    I'm alos looking for quince and medlars... and have been for about 15 years. Still hopeful!

4. I bought a quince tree earlier this year - hasn't fruited but I have high hopes for next. I've made medlar jelly in the past but frankly, don't rate it that highly - gorgeous colour though.
    Forecast is dire for tomorrow so I must nip out again later and pick more berries. I'm rapidly running out of freezer space though. I want to make plum ice cream and bramble ice cream next..

5. OK, I'll come clean.....the quince was covered in blossom but I inadvertently let it dry out too much inbetween waterings and they all withered. I told Mr C that trees don't fruit in their first year......

6. You are bad - my kind of bad[​IMG]
    How much does a quince tree cost? How many do you need? How much space do they need? How long do they take to fruit?
    I suspect medlars take years....

Oh! Don't really try to answer, I am off googling now you have piqued my curiosity...

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Love it, love it, love it...
    The "Pick Your Own" farm and farm shop up the road has today provided us with...strawberries, courgettes, raspberries, peas, sugar snaps, broad beans and runner beans. So fresh I'm having to resist eating the lot today whilst they're still warm from the sun.
    PLUS their other stuff which isn't pick your own...cherries, greengages, plums, onions, carrots and brocolli.

Won't be preserving much this year, unless our recent addition becomes better at napping in the daytime...a lot to expect in this heat! So...will just have to eat it all fresh. Not an unpleasant alternative!

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have a quince tree [​IMG]
    It was one of the few things I kept in the garden when we moved here because I didn't recognise what it was and now I have loads of then!
    So, come on then. What do I do with the quinces?

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You all make me feel so indolent and unproductive! [​IMG]
    Luckily, I have some of Kinsa & Mr Kinsa's lovely hedgerow jelly and rosehip & apple jelly to console myself with. [​IMG]

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Quince cheese/membrillo!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

My neighbours have a tree which grows over our garden. I suspect it is a quince.
    In spring the blossom is dark red and it has spines on the branches. The fruits look a bit like apples but are rock hard when cut into.
    Am I right?

12. egyptgirl

Got a recipe?

13. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Can you make jam in a slow cooker? Sorry, I'm very ignorant about the whole process but have an abundance of apples and raspberries.

14. My apple tree is now ready for harvesting. Normally I'm away on holiday this week and by the time I get back the fruit has gone over (the tree seem to have a really short window when the apples can be used). As I'm at home this year I want to make use of all the fruit.
    I want to make apple chutney, preferably with cider. I could google a few recipies but wondered if anyone had anything tried and tested?
    What else should I do with the apples? I don't have a big freezer and I'm not much of a jam eater. Any ideas?

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Never made it as have never managed to get hold of quinces. Would love to though.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm going to hotlist this. Our new house has a quince tree and it is covered. I am really looking forward to harvest time.
    I have googled a membrillo recipe to try. There is one on the Waitrose site. It mentioned smearing it over lamb before you cook it which sounds very, very tempting!
    Here it is:http: //www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/m/membrillo.html

17. egyptgirl

Thanks for posting the links everyone - looks like I'm going to be busy. According to my neighbour, the tree always produces lots and lots of fruit. Previous occupant hadn't touched them for such a long time. At least I will (hopefully) out them to good use. Time to get the preserving pan and jars out of the garage, perhaps?

18. Some of you had better PM me, begging me to have some of their quinces for free....
    .... I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous! Evenif I am fast running out of jars!