1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I love the SSTA

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Jun 21, 2011.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Well how good has my change of union been? Got shot of the jelly spined, look after thier own interest, "go on Mr Employer do whatever you want" EIS and I am now in the SSTA. Just to let you know they did what all good unions should do.......they sent me a box of goodies. Tie, pens, keyring with "pound" for the shopping trolly attached....now that is what a teaching union is good for; and for good messssure they are 50% off at the moment.
    Role on the holidays.

2. subman68

Well how good has my change of union been? Got shot of the jelly spined, look after thier own interest, "go on Mr Employer do whatever you want" EIS and I am now in the SSTA. Just to let you know they did what all good unions should do.......they sent me a box of goodies. Tie, pens, keyring with "pound" for the shopping trolly attached....now that is what a teaching union is good for; and for good messssure they are 50% off at the moment.
    Role on the holidays.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Funny you should mention this. One of my colleagues was opening her welcome pack yesterdayin the staffroom,having also changed from EIS. As I've sent my new DD to SSTA a few days ago,I'm looking forward to my box of goodies. Bye,EIS and thanks for nothing.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Do loyal SSTA members get a reward ? [​IMG]

5. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The knowledge that you're a member of the best union in the business and the only one dedicated to secondary teachers. Also that fact that increasing membership is a sign of an effective union which has to be good for all concerned!

6. possibly if you call them and use your name they might be kind to you

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sorry. Brand new customers only!

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think if they are going to spend money on welcome packs for new members it should be on bottles of wine, so that people can celebrate [​IMG] Like that they can more easily forget how the EIS let them (us all) down.
    *ducks*

9. Annual Subscription rates for full time, full members

EIS = £116.94 (min) - £130.50 (max)
    SSTA = £163.90
    NASUWT = £167.40
    Voice = £180

10. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The knowledge that you're not a member of a union that throws some its members to the wolves? PRICELESS!

11. I just snorted coffee all over my laptop laughing at this comment [​IMG]

12. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I'm always in the wrong place at the right time [​IMG] and miss out so often
    • did a computer course on my return to full-time teaching and got £50 for it; 4 weeks later they increased this to £100 to encourage more uptake
    • SSTA - made the right choice too soon
    • missed out on max. maternity pay by being too honest
    • going to be too young (by 2 years) to get old-age pension at 60 (or 65,66 whatever)
    One consolation is that Subman is happier now!!

13. subman68

Harsh I think I am a glass half full person.....the only problem is my glass always has a crack in it.
    So what to the SSTA give to women if they give men a tie?

14. subman68

2 questions
    What free gift would you want a union to give you?
    What is the best freebie you have ever had?
    I have been upgraded a few times on flights (when I was in the working world) sitting upstairs on a Jumbo Jet feet up drinking Champers is great.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'll tell you when I get mine. Dare I hope for a spa away day? Maybe not.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Listen to you lot [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Now I'm being a wee purist here, but I personally do not think that unions should give members free things(for joining, or on an annual basis or whatever) . . . . .I'm obviously on my own here . . . .but I don't care . . . . .I don't want things for my subs.
    What do I want?
    I want (legal) advice, T & C protection, timely, well informed and analytical information/communications and integrity.
    When do I want it?
    Now!!!!

17. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm a little more basic in my wishes from my union. I just don't want to be sold down the river.

18. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

For reassurance, can I suggest you have a look at the videos of various speeches at SSTA Congress ...

http://www.ssta.org.uk/news.php?item.251.5

and while you're at it, take in the speech by Mike Jennings the General Secretary of the Irish Federation of University Teachers. A master at work!

19. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Sadly, it's no reassurance to me- I'm Primary! [​IMG]

20. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

When you try to visit the ssta site you are greeted with ...

www.ssta.org.uk contains content from kulop.cx.cc, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
    Google has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed. Why not try again tomorrow or go somewhere else?
    We have already notified kulop.cx.cc that we found malware on the site.