1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I love RE!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by rockgrrl, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Is it just me that gets really side tracked and excited about RS when I see new resources and RE ideas on here or RE stuff, the latest being some of the different RS specs I traditionally do edexcel unit 1 and 8, and am changing units- to one religion i think its unit 11 Islam, to trial for one year.
    I am aware that lots of people do different and interesting combinations of units/ exam boards- I would be really interested to hear your success stories!
    I love this community! I find out lots of ideas/ info about the world of RS and education
    Thanks
    rockgrrl

2. Is it just me that gets really side tracked and excited about RS when I see new resources and RE ideas on here or RE stuff, the latest being some of the different RS specs I traditionally do edexcel unit 1 and 8, and am changing units- to one religion i think its unit 11 Islam, to trial for one year.
    I am aware that lots of people do different and interesting combinations of units/ exam boards- I would be really interested to hear your success stories!
    I love this community! I find out lots of ideas/ info about the world of RS and education
    Thanks
    rockgrrl

3. fm1981

fm1981 New commenter

I am an NQT this year and at my school they do the AQA Spec B Unit 5 (religious expression through society) so we look at Religion and Art, Religion and Music, Religion and Architecture and Religion and Literature. When i went to an AQA inspiration course (which i HIGHLY recommend to all!!!) everyone was surprised about the spec we do as there are only a small minority of schools who do our spec. I will say - it is AWESOME!! it's SO relevant and contemporary for the kids. Religion isn't focused on as much as it is in ethics and philosphy. Kids love the topics on Music and Architecure. it really is the best spec iv taught so far. I did Ethics and Philosophy as two different specs at one school and i did Religion and Morality at my second school in my training year. I love the spec im doing now :)

4. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I've never done this but it sounds really interesting.

The most enjoyable 'exam system' I've done was when my GCSE students all did the Christianity option but could choose the second religion. Then I was facilitating them rather than teaching them for that religion and they were really working well together in groups, supporting each other. They got so enthusiastic that I had to race around like a headless chicken keeping up with them, I only taught them as a whole group for the Christianity section.

I think it is good to use data to ensure nobody is left behind and catch up on anyone who is needing extra help but I think the fixation with levels (which tend to be fairly dubious - real RE, spiritual RE, meaningful RE, thoughtful, reflective RE is extremely difficult to level in a realistic way. So what is the data actually measuring?

5. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I get side tracked and excited when a class take off with ideas and discussion continues after class into break time so you have to chase them out.

I love it when you overhear issues that we have been exploring in class being discussed in the playground and when students come to the classroom to ask questions or share confidences in their own time.