1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I love my storecupboard because...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, May 4, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

...it always has little treats in store for me - I went in there tonight for some mustard to stir into my eggs and I found a jar of roasted peppers and a jar of sundried tomatoes in oil which tranformed my omelette.
    What do you love about your storecupboard?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

[​IMG] Ok. and the rest!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

...because I know there's always an extraordinary variety of throw together meals in there - rice, pasta, noodles, flours, grains, myriad oils and vinegars, soy sauce, chilli sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, tinned pulses, tinned tomatoes, tinned fish, tinned crab, dried pulses, quinoa, cous cous, bulghar, pearl barley, stock cubes, Marigold powder, miso paste, tinned consomme, dried seaweed, dried mushrooms of numerous varieties, tinned duck confit, bottled lobster bisque, countless spices and spice mixes...and I'm sure there's plenty more! As I always have a few heads of garlic and a few lemons hanging about as well, I know that an impromptu meal is always to hand. Even if not - there's always linguine with pesto!

4. Because I could feed us for months from it and would not even have to resort to too much repetiveness.
    There is no excuse in this house to go hungry.
    I was brought up this way (my Grandma has an old walk in pantry which always groaned with food and still does!).
    I am always quite fascinated when I visit folk who have no food in the house! I have one particular friend who really has NOTHING in the cupboards or fridge!

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My sister is like that! She once said to me that I have a heck of a lot of types of pasta for someone so poor (supply work had been thin on the ground). I tried to explain to her that being poor meant having a well stocked pantry was vital as it was economical, but she wasn't convinced.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My storecupboard is only small, but it is well-stocked!
    I love the fact that it will ensure I won't starve - even of I get 'snowed in' for a week...this is mum's influence! I always have dried milk, and flour, and rice and pasta and tinned meat...and tinned green beans! (I don't stockpile tomatoes but I panic when I run low on green beans!)

7. I dream of having a larder or a pantry or a space under the stairs or all three, but like beth I only have a wee cupboard . It is, however well stocked with flours, pastas, different types of rice, dried mushrooms, tins of tomatoes (I woukd stockpile them if I had room), spices, capers, anchovies,packets of lentils and tins of beans - not baked, flageolet, chickpeas etc; ground almonds is an essential too. I like the feeling that I can always rustle up a meal if anyone turns up unexpectedly and I know I won't starve if snowed in!
    I have a separate cupboard for all my preserves, which reminds me, must do a stocktake

8. I dream of having a walk in pantry, like my Grandma does (cold enough in Winter to need no fridge!)
    But alas, I have never had one.
    In most places, I have had a large cellar. I now also have a very large built in cupboard in the hallway (very German - tis to hide all the fuses and heating valves and such gubbins) which has shelves and is full of - my stores!)

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Had one in the first flat we lived in and I took it for granted. Then, we bought our last house that didn't have a pantry and I really, really missed it. We have one in our present house and I love it! I can walk in and select things off shelves. Brilliant.

10. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

We have a storeroom which houses the freezer, the tumble drier; a second fridge (fridge-freezer in the kitchen) and is also lined with shelves, floor to ceiling. We use it for storing tinned and dry goods (such as rice, pasta, coffee, kichen rolls etc) and I also keep all my baking trays and electrical kichen gadgets in it. As there is no heatin g in this room, it is also perfect for storing home preserves such as chutneys, preserved tomatoes, mincemeat etc. I love it because it's huge and very easily adaptable. We'd be hard pressed to fill it!

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Forgot to say, we stock our packs of water in there, too, no problem fitting in 12 or more!

12. ljr

ljr New commenter

I am in the process of having a new kitchen fitted which means that I have had to empty all my old cupboards. The contents are on display in the lounge in 5 or 6 boxes, and the family are assuming that I will now have a 'good sort out', and 'throw all those tins & packets away'. I feel totally misunderstood, they just don't get it that my store cupboard keeps me sane. I would so stressed if I had empty cupboards or fridge. How do they think I am going to feed them for the next 6 weeks with no oven, running water etc? Its a good job I've planned for it & stocked up on simple ingredients I can cook in a microwave, and have also stocked up the freezer with a months supply of home cooked ready meals. The world is definitely made up of storers & non storers.

13. Do other Storers find, that however full their freezer is, they can still fit in a few more bargains that just had to be bought? My local Tesco had organic free range chickens reduced to a fiver this weekend, so I had to have them. And I did manage to fit a couple into the already stuffed freezer.It's a comfort to know that come the Revolution/ Nuclear Winter /End-of-Civilisation-as-We-Know-It I can still feed my family (and quite a few friends!).

14. ljr

ljr New commenter

Yes its amazing how like the Tardis chest freezers really are.
    I also had to get rid of my large chest freezer as it wont fit into my new kitchen, but I just cant imagine having to make do with the small freezer space below the fridge - so I've bought a smaller chest freezer & put it in the spare room. Its like my security blanket - I feel happy when I've got a full freezer.