1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I love my butcher because...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, May 21, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I went in there to buy some meat for today and tomorrow this morning and I didn't feel well. Not sick, just a very overriding feeling of nausea. He took one look at me, made me sit down, brought me a cup of tea and a bacon and sausage sandwich and made me eat it. Now I feel great and he gave me some extra meat free of charge saying I needed 'building up'.
    A bit of a self-indulgent post, I know but I just wanted to share.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Try getting that treatment at the meat counter in Tesco's from the spotty oik who wouldn't know a tunnel boned leg of lamb from a pork tenderloin.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love mine because he and his excellent team of butchers:
    a) have some of the best meat available, all local, free-range or organic and traceable with a little leaflet on the counter telling you about the breed and provenance of every piece of meat available. I wouldn't shop at a butcher's who couldn't tell me everything about the animal a joint of meat came from
    b) they are happy to do anything you want to a piece of meat and are equally happy to give tips and teach you butchery skills yourself!
    c) customers are treated like royalty and no job is too large or small
    d) they are friendly, with the right level of jovial informaility and remember little details for conversation next time, also remembering you by name

Once I went in for a 2kg piece of pork belly, They'd just reserved the last piece for a customer who'd phoned a few moments before. The head butcher came in from the back and said that as the phone customer wasn't known to them, my needs as a regular would be prioritised, and they phoned the customer back and told them that they'd made a mistake and there wasn't any, but they'd get him some for the next day if he still wanted it. I left with my pork belly!

4. egyptgirl

If I'd passed out on the floor, I expect he'd not have taken much notice!

5. I love my butcher because :
    He cares about the meat he sells.
    He cares about his customers - and remembers their particular likes/dislikes.
    When my sweet ex-landlady was so ill with cancer, he used to send her littlefree 'treats' - little bits to tempt her appetite.
    He always lets me know when he is getting game from the local estate. (He had the good business sense to enter into an arrangement with the estate manager - and he is the only local butcher to get game when the have a shoot on the estate.)
    He talks to his customers....and refuses to be hurried. I recall one Saturday I popped in and there was a long queue. The butcher was cheerfully chatting to each customer as he prepared their orders - asking about family and also drumming up a little extra trade - 'So, how is your son - at Uni now isn't he....oh, home for the week...you'll want some extra bacon then - he loves his bacon sarnies on a Sunday!'.....'Morning Mrs D,....how did your old man like those sausages last week? - you had the ones with leeks didn't you, why not try these today - pork and chestnut, go down a treat with your special mash....'.....'Ah good morning Mrs T....I've got something special for you today....look at this!...a chop with a kidney attached!...'.....Someone from the back of the queue started grumbling about how long things were taking and suggested less-chat-and-more-serving would get things done quicker! (They were not 'regular' customers ...we know to allow extra time when we visit the butcher!) The butcher calmly looked up, came round the front of the counter ang gave the complainig customer directions to Tescos!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Lol my tesco butcher is great. He's an ex chef and always gives me recpies. I do like the local market butcher too ESP as he sells kangaroo mmm

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I am shallow and vacuous.
    I love my butcher because he's well hot! All muscles, tribal tattoos and a very cheeky grin.
    The meat's pretty good too. [​IMG]

8. egyptgirl

Well done.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That made me laugh out loud, egyptgirl! [​IMG]

10. egyptgirl

So did yours!
    Mr EG asked why I was laughing and I read your reply out to him. He said (no hint of irony) "but I thought people went to the butchers for meat"
    Bless.

11. This has made me laugh out loud too!
    Our butcher is great too, for all of the same reasons that everyone has posted....well apart from the fact he's nothing like manashee's butcher!

12. egyptgirl

I think that if we ever do organise the cookery meet, we should all meet at Manashee's butcher so see what all the fuss is about! [​IMG]

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh, he'd love that!!