1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I love doing supply work - how about you?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Mowgli1970, Jun 16, 2012.

1. I like the feeling of independence, the challenge of a new place with new faces. I like teaching - not form-filling, chasing agencies or parents, writing policies and schemes of work, ieps and reports.
    I enjoy the feeling that I've had a good day, but I'm not obliged to come back once the day's over. (I only do casual supply). I know it has its downsides, but so does every job.
    What do you love about doing supply?

2. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

I love nothing about supply. I would exchange dealing with awful consultants, going into schools being treated second rate by the staff and children, not knowing where I'm working day-to-day and not being able to plan simple night's out against planning, marking and a settled class. However, I do share your thoughts on thinking, 'thank goodness I don't work here.' Supply Teaching actually put me off applying for jobs, hence the reason I've done it for so long.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

love supply, constantly worry about paying the bills! Holidays are a really stressfull time and I would gladly work through the lot!
    I have a fantastic agency (but my wages are too low of course)
    Agree that it is by far the best way of viewing schools where one might apply or not!
    With the schools where i work regularly I have built some great relationships with pupils and some staff.
    I particularly love having ALL my evenings to do the things that I live for, Music especially!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I enjoyed the novelty and challenge of daily supply for a while, but since I've been working on longer term cover jobs I have come to miss the security and routine of being in one place, among a familiar group of people, and knowing I'll be there for the foreseeable future. I also miss being able to decide what I teach and having the chance to improve what's on offer instead of simply doing what I'm told. Consequently I've accepted the offer of a part-time post for September, knowing full well that I'm going back to PM, targets, paperwork, hyper-accountability, workplace politics, Gove's cracked initiatives and all the rest of it.

However it's a only for a few more years and then I hit the Eject button. I've genuinely enjoyed supply for the last two and a half years but reading between the lines on this forum I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it for the next four, so it's time to come in from the cold.

5. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

i have to say im not loving supply i dont like the that fact im not paid for the holidays really well the six weeks one and that as long term supply im expected to do the same as a permanent teacher.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and certainly for my agency, one gets an extra £10 which is half an hours pay for all the extra meetings, parents evenings, reports, forms,.......
    Why i am looking to pur together a portfolio of jobs, summer school, TESOL, etc etc probably a saturday job. Then just doing day to day, walking out at half four and enjoying a life

7. AthenaMarina

AthenaMarina New commenter

I actually DO love supply! I left a full time permanent job I'd been at for years & have done day to day supply for a year now. I agree with you that I love the independence - I can say no to a job even - as you say, teaching, not form filling, writing policies, reports etc. I rarely have to go to INSETS (which at my last school were usually irrelevant) or staff meetings. I love the variety & I love the flexibilty to take some days off. I love seeing all the different schools,the variety of ideas & resources & learning new things from it. I don't have to manage currciula etc. areas as well as teach. I don't have to go to currciula evenings or parents evenings or staff Christmas parties. I don't miss doing displays, keeping learning journeys which were becoming pain staking & mountains of writing observations. I don't miss being observed. I love that I often have someone to help me see the kids off at home time. It's interesting seeing different parts of my city. Do I find it hard financially? Lately yes & for the first three months of when I began. But even my husband & friends say I seem happier now as a supply than a permanent teacher! My next step is keep working hard but try to go out to various interest groups at times on weeknights so I feel I still have a life!

8. What a wonderful post !!!. I too left I full time permanent job to go on Supply and I can't wait for it to start. People have said the money is terrible but the stress of my last job or rather the stress. I felt I was under crippled me. There are plenty of people at my last school who shine but I couldnt. Supply will let me see was it the job or me.

9. Good for you!
    I have to say that my last long term post not being extended was the best thing that could have happened to me - it meant a year and a half of supply which i thoroughly enjoyed and was a real boost to my failing confidence and has now landed me in a school where I am happy and feel I fit in, rather than being miserable and feeling a failure in a school where i might have stayed, just to feel secure. No regrets here! Just be [​IMG]open minded, enjoy the experience and enjoy the freedom of not having to plan, mark, go to meetings etc! Ok, budgeting can be tough and it is harder not having holiday pay etc, but nonetheless a great way to get to know several schools and make a good impression in any where you might want to go and you don't have to go back to places you don't like.
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

really great series of posts, very uplifting

11. You are lucky to get supply.

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

agreed as discussed in other threads, but sometimes we all need to hear some hsppy comments too!

13. Well, while I haven't had work yet, for the first time in many years the evenings are all mine and as are the weekends. I'm giving Supply a year to see if teaching is for me. I am being open mined about the lack of work and thus are also looking into what else I can do in the future. I doubt I will want to work in another school again full time. Already from friends left behind in my last school and those who work in others I've heard them say "Spent two hours last night making resources", "Spent ages on weekend doing the planning" etc.

14. supply287

supply287 New commenter

I have enjoyed supply, both long term and short term for about 15 years - and perhaps it was the only way I could teach. I was good at supply -flexible , creative and enthusiastic - and ended up working for one agency with a pension and paid to scale. Last year the agency closed because of cuts and competition.
    I'm now waiting on the phone from three agencies but I've had only one day so far. It has made me realise that I have become somewhat out-of-date and have lost the buzz that I used to have.
    I'm now looking for something for the late years from 50 to the end. I have enjoyed teaching but now it's time to move on.
    Cheers and enjoy every stressful, rewarding moment.

15. I love supply.

Over the last 2 years my love of teaching has slowly dwindled whilst I had a permanent position. But now I can actually focus on teaching. In just a few short weeks, my passion is beginning to resurface. Especially, when I can leave at 4:00 with no marking, planning, paperwork to focus on.

It's also to visit staffrooms where the staff are happy!

16. I feel the same. My biggest problem during my PGCE was overstressing about planning.

The only problem is I can't really make a living from it, and my days off are so boring (and unpredictable, like getting called out this afternoon whilst watching Loose Women in my slacks). If I could travel round different schools each day/week and do five days every week I'd honestly consider doing it for the rest of my life.

17. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I enjoy it when I actually get it!

As others have stated, if you knew you would be sent somewhere every weekday it would be a lot better.

18. I I too adore supply teaching and am starting to love teaching again. I got so tired of the pointless tasks (APP, working walls, IEP's etc) that I couldn't bear it any longer. Now I'm supply teaching, though I earn less, I look forward to the weekends free to do as I please.

Moreover, supply teaching is helping me refine my lessons and experiment without the worry of negative feedback or repercussions. Though a "good" under teacher under OFSTED criteria I used to play it safe, tick the boxes. Now I can take the odd risk when delivering lessons and so far they"ve all paid off. Furthermore you're not stuck with a school or class from hell.

19. Love, love love supply. I'm post ARB so don't really want full time but I relish the variety of schools and children. Like the poster above, I enjoy being creative and give myself permission to try and enrich the learning. I'm asked back so it must be ok.

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Having spent many, many years on supply I have to say that long-term some of the novelty of being in different schools did wear off for me.
    I definitely enjoyed my longer term placements better than day-to-day doing what amounted to 'babysitting services' in too many different schools. The stress of waiting for those 'elusive phone calls' and feeling my life was on 'permanent hold' did spoil it for me.
    Last year I decided that with the death of local supply I'd start applying for support roles. Lower paid but better than my supply pay for the past few years.