1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I lost my job because I am coming across as too quiet/introverted

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by fantastischfish, May 14, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This sounds a lot like code for "Your face doesn't fit and we're just too spineless to say so". Be wary of changing your entire demeanour just because of one vague piece of feedback. Many departments would rather have a quiet, hard-working colleague who doesn't speak out of turn and reamins professional.
    If anything, have a think about how you use your voice in the classroom. Do you assert yourself well (and I don't mean by shouting) and is there a sense of authority in your presence when you stand before the kids?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Play to your strengths- not every teacher teaches the same and as the other posters said its all about your face fitting with the particular SMT of that school. Use your application to emphasise your strengths and look for the right school for you.