1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I like Facebook

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Especially when I don't have to befriend the person whose photos I want to have a casual peruse of.
    243 photos of the girl who tried to bully me in my third year at high school? Looking like a haversack full of spanners? Don't mind if I do...

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

No harm in a bit of Facebook stalking :)

3. Oh no - is that what I'm doing??

4. I suppose it is. Ah well - if people are too dense to set their privacy settings appropriately, what do they expect?

:p

5. No harm, it is her fault for being a bully and a bit thick.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's the friend requests from people who you don't recognise, who look like (and are) old grannies. Then you realise they were in your year at school.
    How can anyone look that old when they're still in their 30s? They must have had hard lives.
    A bit of smugness every now and again is alright by me![​IMG]

7. And not just the people you used to know - seeing people on the news can do the same job.
    Last week, Obama saying goodbye to an aide of his, Robert Gibbs (?) who was about to turn 40. I'd say he looked much older than that.

8. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Me too Coffeekid, although i get really anoyed when they wise up and change their settings! I've gained a level of nosiness i never had before, i blame it on procrastination (Like this post too).

9. I don't like Facebook.
    I have never bothered checking to see if anyone I used to know (or know for that matter) is on there...
    I am a dinosaur, I tell thee.

10. This woman is a friend of a friend. She'd posted a comment and when I saw the name, naturally I clicked.
    Oh yeah. A pleasant and gratifying five minutes were passed.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I've not signed up, and have no intention of doing so, but I must admit to checking out my eldest, and not very communicative, daughter's homepage. I wouldn't want to get beyond the homepage, and can't in any case as she has her security settings in place, but I can see from the photo (which she updates regularly) that she is happy and enjoying her time at university, which is all I need to know for peace of mind.

12. It's a great way to stay in touch with people you don't see very often. I recently got back in touch with an old friend who I'd lost contact with a few years ago owing to email problems - that was thanks to facebook. It has its drawbacks but if you're careful with security settings it can be as private as you want it to be.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I agree. I also love to see what my 2 offspring are up to at uni.....they have no problem being my friend on FB.

14. And cousins. We saw our cousins occasionally as kids during family visits, but lost touch when we got older. We're all back in touch now, though in different parts of the world.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Them too!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It has finally grown on me though my security is so tight that I had some trouble adding someone else with equally tight security (we got there in the end).
    It's handy for staying in touch with friends in Oz and put me back in touch in a real blast from the past (my late best friend's former boyfriend who used to stay with us before they split up).
    We recently tracked down our older half-sister who we'd never known and facebook came in handy for chatting and exchanging photographs until we finally met at the weekend.
    I've not really used it to search anyone who isn't a friend or a member of the family - I'm obviously not nosy enough.

17. we have been prone to a nose at some of our parents pages....they have no security settings on their pages at all, despite regular reminders from school about facebook security!

18. Same here. I opened a Facebook account, my son checked it out and became a friend, several boys I used to teach asked to be my friends...and at that I ran away! Ye Gods! I don't want former pupils prying into my life or knowing much about me! So, I didn't even decline those requests (it would have seemed rude, they were nice lads - now in their 20s) and I went 'private'. I put nothing else in, I didn't track down old acquaintances - feeling they were now 'acquaintances' for a reason, and there aren't enough hours in the day to REALLY care about what they were up to, AND if it were meant to be they'd still be 'friends', yes? Years later my Facebook page remains the same. I have locked the whole world out. No movement. I might as well close it. [​IMG]
    I know several young people who give Facebook HOURS of their time every single day. Can't be healthy, can it? [​IMG]
    (Mind you, if I were an active Facebooker, I dare say I'd be having a good old nosey around too! [​IMG] )

19. I have to admit to having some friends on facebook purely because they like to air their dirty laundry in public via their status updates and it makes me chuckle so much.

20. I love FB for keeping in touch with my sister in canada, rels in NZ but most of all daughter in the Philippines, it makes distant and absence so much easier to bear..
    (even my mum, who is 81, is on FB...bless)