1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I left teaching!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JJ83, Nov 21, 2019.

1. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Morning All,

After reading some really grim posts on here about how staff are being treated in schools I just wanted to add a little something positive.

I was bullied out of my long term position to the point where I wanted to take me own life and my only option was to resign and just leave with no other job to go to.

I ended up doing supply work which I loved and hated in equal measures, getting asked back to schools as they liked me and my teaching style did a little something to increase my literally destroyed self worth. Now doing supply also gave me freedom!! YAY!! I ended up working on Cruise Ships in the Kids Club and have literally being half way around the world and met such wonderful people - NO WAY would I have done that if I was still teaching. I also ended up working for The Challenge and being Site Manager for a holiday camp - again NO WAY would this have happened if I was still teaching.

NOW I am employed as a University Lecturer and yes my confidence is still no where near what it was BUT I am alive and happy to be out of secondary.

There is a way out for everyone - BE BOLD BE BRAVE you can do it

PS I am NOT rich and do not have a RICH partner so I had to be brave to get out and yes we suffered financially but it was worth it

2. venny414

venny414 New commenter

This sounds like a really great opportunity. How did you get into this might I ask?

Oh, and congratulations for settling into a job outside of teaching. Sounds like you really had enough in the classroom! I wish you all the best with it!

3. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

I put my CV online and was contacted by Kings Recruit who hire childcare staff for P+O Cunard and Royal Caribbean

I LOVED teaching and my students, sadly my head teacher did not like me and made life tough BUT its under the bridge and life has moved on with a lot of hard work going on in between!!

4. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Well done, JJ83. So good to read about positive outcomes from what at first was unbearable.

pepper5, agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  5. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

What was it like working on the cruise ships? I would really like some more information.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

I hear your story!!!
    Have you worked out your hourly pay?? I suspect that it is higher despite being lower overall!
    If you work a 37 hour week for 45 weeks a year, you’ll still work over 300 hours a year less!
    Congratulations

pepper5 and Mermaid7 like this.
  7. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

What a great story and example of the Stoic approach that ‘The obstacle is the way.’
    Well done and you should feel proud it’s taken amazing nerve and courage to take those steps. Really delighted for you

pepper5, agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Am I missing something?o_O

But you are still teaching! Lecturing is teaching. You haven't really escaped you've just moved sideways.:p

Anyway, I know what you are saying. You've left secondary and haven't looked back.

I hope university life treats you well and you regain your full confidence and what they did to you becomes more and more of a distant memory.

Onwards and upwards Mate!
    :)

pepper5 likes this.
  9. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

It was SO fun!!! Long hours, you work 7 days a week. When you are in Port you either got the morning or the afternoon off so you could get off and explore, 2 years ago I spent a month in the Caribbean onboard and it honestly felt like a holiday with a few shifts thrown in.
    You can go out on 'decks' if you get an early finish so you get to eat in the passenger restaurants and go see a show.
    I recommend it for the experience, if you do like living in close quarters with other people working long hours and having to smile for the majority of the day then it is not a job I would do though :)

Mermaid7 and pepper5 like this.
  10. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Thank You - It WAS not always easy and some days and still tough but like I said before I am HERE

pepper5 likes this.
  11. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Indeed I am still teaching, however, I work at work here and leave it behind when I leave, I don't even take my laptop home :)

pepper5 and catbefriender like this.
  12. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Thank You

13. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

My hourly pay is terrible haha. BUT we do what we need to do, life is better we can survive without the cash so all is good :)

DexterDexter likes this.
  14. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Wow - that's some journey (no cruise ship pun intended there...I think).

Congratulations ! More specifically, congratulations on getting out of a profession that has become toxic, is criminal, where educated professionals' dignity is stripped away at every opportunity, where staff are discriminated against by other staff because they choose not to get plastered on a Fri/Sat night with them, where moral standards are somewhat suspect (that was me being polite :p), where new staff are not supported well enough in a job that's getting incredibly difficult (and they are expected to go through the same difficulties - with the extra plethora of paperwork and accountability - that more experienced staff faced in days when they were 'thrown a timetable and told to get on with it' and were teaching using clay tablets, as opposed to electronic ones...), where uneducated protohumans are permitted/encouraged to dictate to the educated professional what they should be learning and how to do so (the 'fluid syllabus', where LI and SC are determined by the learners - smh), where ex-teachers (SLT) from other subjects tell expert teachers in their own subject how to teach, where the usual 'staffroom complaining cabal' complain about not having enough time to get the job done (whilst making sure they are firmly welded on THEIR seats), and where parents are not called to account for their kids' misbehaviour.

If you haven't already deduced this, I quit school teaching recently (after 13 years of dealing with - and seeing close colleagues deal with - the content of the above rant).

Out of curiosity JJ83, does your uni. job involve doing research ?

suzuki1690 and Shedman like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

An inspiring story. Thanks for posting.

DexterDexter likes this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If it does then you can just post a questionnaire on here!

(This is not a dig at JJ83 but at those who post their surveys on here and then pass off the results as rigorous academic research.)

annascience2012 and pepper5 like this.
  17. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

It certainly does :)

18. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Fantastic! Loved this post and yed you have given me some ideas. Well done and congrats!

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not sure I'd last more than 48 hours on a cruise ship without throwing myself overboard, but the message behind the OP is take the leap of faith, and I fully concur with that, having done so.

20. Teeacher12345

Teeacher12345 New commenter

This gives me hope in a hopeless situation right now. I just wanted to ask about uni lecturing, it’s something I’ve always considered but wondered whether I’d be qualified enough without having done a masters. Did you do one? How did you find the application process? What are you teaching if you don’t mind me asking( ?

This is making me feel more brave about the thought of potentially leaving despite not being allowed to be released from contract early and being brave