1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I left... My story!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pumpkinsoup88, Nov 19, 2019.

1. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my story of leaving teaching. Not because I think it’s good or bad but maybe it’ll help some people decide what to do :)

I taught for 8 years. I spent half of them enjoying teaching on the whole and the other half not and wanting to get out. One of those years was particularly bad. Really bad. My final year was good but I couldn’t be kept on by my current school and I just couldn’t face applying for another job and putting myself out there.

I had thought about what I’d like to do. Mental health and a more pastoral role was exactly what I was looking for. Less hours. Less stress and less pay was fine for me.

My Mum said I think you might need another qualification. So I did some research and decided to apply for a MSc in Psychology. I completed this whilst teaching part time and later my other job.

You can get loans for masters and for the first year - it was just about manageable. The last 6 months of the course were HELL!!! Working all of the time and it was so so hard! And for me, the stress of this combined with what I’ll talk about below was probably worse than teaching.

I later got a job working for a charity and going into schools and supporting children. The job itself is amazing and not stressful. But what I never imagined to be this stressful was the pay and insecurity of the contract! This combined with very little jobs out there and completing my studies has been so so difficult!

I thought I’d escaped maybe a grieving process for leaving teaching - but it just came late. I missed the job and then the wage and security! The anxiety about the job situation and studying really has been about the same as teaching. But know it wouldn’t be good for me to go back. I feel now I’ve got this far, it’s important to keep going forward.

Searching for a job and being more qualified than I was before and being on minimum wage has been super hard! I have a supportive partner but yep - it’s not been easy. I’m at the stage where I want some financial security but I just can’t get it and feel sad I don’t have a mortgage. I find I’m over qualified for the jobs I go for and then other people are more over qualified than me or that there really isn’t many jobs advertised. I think I’m lucky to have the job I have as it is a challenging economy.

Still, now this period is over and I’ve graduated- I’m hopeful when the time comes I can be in a good career which is more suitable for me. I don’t think I hated teaching or was absolutely burnt out by it but that’s not to say I haven’t felt this way at times and sometimes for a good period of time.

To get to where I am now - it’s been a three year process and a long one. I’ve learned a lot - I’ve learned a new side of education from my job, academically I’ve upped my skills and I also know more about managing money and feeling skint! I just wanted to share my story and hope it helps in some way :)

thanks for reading x

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Well done, and good luck for the future!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

That is interesting, thank you

4. pumpkinsoup88

You’re welcome :) thanks for reading

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I think this will be helpful for those thinking of leaving and of what they might do next.
    Hopefully your quality of life will be better and that your career will be back on track soon.

6. katelewis1008

katelewis1008 New commenter

Well done on persevering and getting the qualification.

Would you apply for the Educational Psychology doctorate?

7. pumpkinsoup88

Absolutely :)

Writing this post made me think of the journey I’ve been on. And I think everyone is different - it depends on what your life was like whilst teaching maybe how you perceive life after leaving the profession.

for me, it hasn’t been an easy few years transitioning - with studying and money buttt now that is done, I feel as you say my career will get back on track and my future, for me, will be brighter as a result ... just been a process to get there :)

Ed psych looks like an amazing job! And I would love to be an assistant ... I guess the study (and lots of travelling potentially) put me off as I’ve had that experience of studying at postgrad level and that too is super hard! But hey it’s an option still :)

katelewis1008 likes this.
  8. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

This makes me feel I will never leave.

Thanks for your perspective - good luck!

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck. I hope that once you're professionally established you can sort the finances.

10. pumpkinsoup88

Thanks guys :)
    And of course - my story is just one story ...

11. clairemullen

clairemullen New commenter

Wow! Lots resonating for me here. My degree lacks BPS accreditation so it's cheaper to do an MSc than a new degree but I'm not sure I'd cope with this, supply teaching and a family. I'm nearly 47 so the chances of starting again at 50ish feel slim. I've looked at IAPT and nursing but the financial ramifications are scary- I still have a mortgage and an expensive teenager to bring up. Although I have resigned, I am struggling to find an alternative to what was my dream job. Help!

12. pumpkinsoup88

I understand all of this entirely and you are being practical at least and understand the challenges such a change would involve...

I guess if you wanted to do more studying - you could do it over 3/4 years to make it easier but of course, like I have found - I still didn’t walk into a job ... like I expected! When I enjoyed the studying, I found it gave me something to aim for, grew my brain and I enjoyed the social aspects - so that’s worth something too.

And if you can financially afford a life being a supply teacher or even another role in the school (and enjoy it to some extent) - could be worth staying put?

The job economy was a huge shock to me- I don’t say that to put people off but just something to consider when making choices ...