1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know we are all thinking it, so I thought I'd start a thread!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RKM, Aug 29, 2011.

1. RKM

RKM

I am dreading go back to work. Yes everyone thinks that each year, but today it fills me with dread.
    We turned into an Academy last year and its been horrible ever since. This year we will be teaching on both sites, which means travelling during the day, sometimes even during break (15mins). Then on top of that we have to teach the kids from the other site (we are 2 schools merging into 1, our site will be the final campus after all the building works are done) and the kids from the other site are vile, some are quite racist. Our site is very very mixed, the other site 99% all white council estate kids.
    Looked for jobs last year, went for 1 interview and the NQT got it.
    How r others feeling??

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am really looking forward to going back to work as after 4 years on supply I've finally bagged my dream job!
    I'll be teaching GCSE and A level biology in a small independent just 5 miles from home. Largest class size is 7.
    Can't wait! But I'll have to as I don't start until 12th September!

3. For the first time in my career I really don't want to go back. Our school has turned into such a miserable place and morale is so low. It isn't really motivating me to get up and do all the work I still need to do!
    For the first time I have even considered a different career, I just don't know what! My mental health is really suffering and I don't know how much more I can take.

4. Last year I remember doign some kind of affirmation thing. I am strong and I will get through the day smiling, I am strong and I will get through the day smiling etc. Not sure if it worked but usually I am OK once I am actually through the doors.

5. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Feeling physically sick at the thought of it

6. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I feel like I have had a great summer holiday.I have popped into school a few times but I am now getting my head in gear for the new school year.
    I think lots of teachers have a certain apprehension before the start of a new school year,new class etc.Like you pinkflipflop the staff in our small school are feeling nervous as morale has been low at the end of the summer term for a number of reasons.
    I aim to be really positive and try boost everyone ,we are going into school for a day this week to prepare for next week and we are having a 'jacob's join' lunch where we will chat and relax together.
    Things must be bad in your place Pinkflip flop if your mental health is suffering ,I would like to offer my sympathy with you as teaching is more than a job ,it really is a way of life and it must be awful if the school you are in is so bad.Are you looking to move?

7. I don't want to move. Until recently I loved my job. The staff are wonderful, the children are wonderful, the parents are wonderful. Everything about it was wonderful.
    Will see what the new term brings, but I have little hope for any improvement!

8. BelleDuJour

That's awful PFF (and to you Bizent). Do hope things trun out better than expected.

9. You lucky sod! Congratulations! Now I have to hate you on general principle!

10. BelleDuJour

Thank you Lily.....but beleive me I've done my time getting there! I reackon I'll stick with this one until I retire!
    [​IMG]

11. I can't wait to go back - I got promoted at the very end of last term and I just want to start my new job. I've missed all my friends at school and just want to get back into it now. I've even washed and ironed all my new school clothes ready for next week!
    Lil x

12. I have a HOD position in a large academy that I'm starting. I am worried.

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Good luck Katerinlily, I remember you were having a really tough time. Glad things worked out.

14. By the end of the holiday I'm usually ready to go back. Yes, another week wouldn't go amiss - still lots of things I haven't done that I wanted to do. Thankfully, after many, many years in the job, my planning at this stage of the holiday is reasonably quick - although I do need to read a play I haven't taught before and think about how to integrate IT into my teaching as I have very regular access to it this year. I don't look forward to the meetings, the staff politics, the cr ap stuff like that, but I do actually enjoy the teaching and what goes on in my classroom. So, yeah, quite looking forward to the first day with students - not the two days of boring INSET sh1 te that precedes it.

15. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Me too! Loathe all those boring lectures about how to make your lessons interesting. Feel overwhelmed in the autumn term but things improve once the spring term comes and the end of year 11 is in sight. Gets a lot better once year 13 go and then the summer hols loom up. Hope we don't get all that snow again this year as that is so disruptive.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Amen to that.
    I haven't done any school work at all this holiday. I had quite a bit of gained time last term so I had managed quite a bit of next year's assessments, schemes etc during that time.
    I will sit down during this week and plan my first lessons but my priority in this holiday has been sorting out my new house. The logic is that I'll teach better for being organised at home. I am looking forward to this year. I didn't enjoy last year very as much as usual but I have better classes this year and am under less pressure in various ways. I hope it lives up to expectations.
    Best wishes to those not looking forward to it. I hope it works out less awful than you expect.

17. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

One of our INSET days is a 'team building' day on Friday. It's about a 2 hour's drive away from school, and we aren't expected to return to school until 6pm. I am seriously thinking about breaking my leg just to get out of it.

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Good grief - what an imposition. I hope to goodness you can at least claim travelling expenses.(And they knock the extra time off another INSET - or take account of it in the directed time budget)

19. Thank you [​IMG]

20. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

The HT has booked a coach so we don't have to drive ourselves. If we had to make our own way there, I'd definitely break down on the way and have to wait at least 5 hours for the AA to turn up, thus preventing my taking part.