1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know this is REALLY stupid, but..........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Jul 8, 2011.

1. When I first came to Oz, the Aussies liked to tell me all about the scary things in their country... like funnel web spiders and snakes etc..... They also like to wind you up with stories of Yowies (Yeti like creatures) and drop bears (bit like koalas, but they supposedly drop on your head when you're walking through the bush) Now I understood that the Yowies were Aboriginal legends, and safely and correctly assumed that the drop bears were just a total wind-up..... (and have wound up a few Scottish visitors myself!!) however there was a news report about six weeks ago, saying that there had been a Yowie sighting on my road! I googled it and apparently there has been a few... Now, this seems absolutely ridiculous in the cold light of day.... but it's night time, and OH left this morning.. .the house is very isolated.... and I'm feeling a little bit freaked out.... and most definitely not looking forward to bed-time! [​IMG]

2. Ugly *** aren't they....

[​IMG]

3. It's OK. We'll send Nessie over to protect you.

4. Thanks guys... that's my problem.... I'm too trusting..........I'd rather believe in these things, than believe that people would just make them up!!!! I believe in Nessie too! Oh, ***.... I just heard a strange noise, and the dug's barked and is now whining.... going to be a LONG night!!!!

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

whooooo
    whooo

twit

6. the dog is picking up on your anxiety

7. It's the giant wombats you need to look out for!

8. And the drop bears?

9. Yep.... two beers was enough to calm me down.... and enough to make me reckless enough to post it on here... I thought getting a good slagging would cheer me up and make me laugh at myself [​IMG]

10. He was actually sleeping on the couch.... but there's new people at the top of the road with a new dog... and then we can hear the kennels tonight as the wind is blowing from that direction..... normally when OH is here we have the TV or music on so we don't here much.... but I'm sitting in complete silence, so that I can hear suspicious noises...... Hmm... that's not actually such a good idea........ [​IMG]

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

12. ROFL! I knew that lurk! I used to love that Tetley Tea advert that started [​IMG]

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

What you need, is a nice walk...[​IMG]

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

The World Service works for me when I'm alone and nervous at night.
    Maybe these yeti-type creatures are benevolent when thought of kindly. If so, they'll be happy to protect you from the drop bears.

15. If scabby dug's not up to the job of protecting you I'll send Killer Cat over if you like!
    Oh aye scabby's mammy - ah'll tak care o' ye. Drap bears? Nae bother - see this bear....ah huv it in a death grip.
    KC xxxxx

[​IMG]

16. Aye. Right. ...........

17. I really don't honestly believe in them, as such... they may or may not exist.... Bit like Nessie......What has freaked me out, is for years (seventeen to be precise) I thought it was just another wind-up like the drop bears, and to have an actual sighting six weeks ago (which somebody only told me about a few days ago, googled the local newspaper and the story was in there) has sort of freaked me out.... it was like the time about five years ago, and I was feeling benevolent and trying to catch a cockroach to put it outside and it started flying!!! Well, all the time the Aussies were trying to wind me up... they might have bliddy mentioned FLYING COCKROACHES! Aargh!!!! I'd spent years here in blissful ignorance.....

18. And thanks Cosmos..... I'm sure Killer would do the trick.....since she's such a vicious unpredictable killer.......... xxx

19. Anyway... have stayed up as long is as tolerable... so bed soon... yowie or not......have car keys, mobile phone, small wood axe and will take the computer too........ *annie is a sad git*

20. Well.... that backfired.... Night three.......Woke up at 2 a.m. Suddenly became aware of a glowing light ebbing and fading in the corner of the bedroom...... Yep. It was the laptop...... But then DID hear a noise outside that sounded like something being dragged across the ground. Heard it again, and again. Was scared..... Got up this morning and discovered that it was very windy, and what I'd probably heard was a bucket blowing around in the wind.... don't think I can take much more of this! *Annie has a very vivid imagination* [​IMG]