1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know this belongs in the trainee section but..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Apr 12, 2011.

1. If you had a trainee teacher in your class, how long would you advise them to spend planning and preparing resources for each lesson please? (Obviously I just mean as a very rough guide because it's going to vary from one lesson to the next)
    I have two weeks off now for easter, but I have started my final teaching placement and done some teaching. I've been fairly happy with most of my lessons so far and am getting used to being back in this routine again (it's been a year since my last placement). I am a bit of a perfectionist. It doesn't take me too long to actually plan the lessons but I do spend a long time making flipcharts and preparing resources. I'm incredibly determined to make this a really successful placement. I will be teaching most of the time after easter and I need to have at least the first two weeks of lessons planned in detail (and resources prepared) before I go back. That's what I've been told to do, but if I can get further ahead then I will. I know the simple answer is to prepare until you've finished but my teacher can be hard to please and is very experienced. The pressure is on to maintain the high standards that they have set and I want to make sure that I give this placement my absolute all. The class teacher and a few other members of staff in the school think that I'm very shy and so I'm going to make sure that I go back after Easter feeling really confident. If I am thoroughly prepared then this won't be a problem. I have a feeling that planning will take over my Easter holiday. I think I spend a lot longer preparing than I should so if you had a trainee teacher in your class, what advice would you give them please and how long would you suggest to spend on things? I'm not disorganised but I recognise where improvements can be made and I want to teach as well as I possibly can and learn as much as possible.
    I look forward to hearing from you.