1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know someone on this forum will be able to help...US university study

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loundhound, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Hi

My daughter has mentioned the idea of studying in the US after A levels.

Although I have been round the world a bit..and so have my offspring, I know absolutely zip about US universities, entrance procedures, scholarships etc etc.

Please can anyone help?

She would like to study modern world hisory and is a straight A student at IGCSE and AS.

Thanks in anticipation!

2. suefla

suefla New commenter

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

This is the idiots guide to sending your kids to an Ivy League College.

1. Send them to a UWC college. Fairly easy if you are Western.

2. If they do well in their IB studies and get good SAT's and PREDICTED grades, they will get in to a top university on a FULL scholarship provided by one Mr Shelby Davis.

3. Sit back and think what a wonderful parent you have been.

Hope this helps!

Now if the above is not possible then send me a PM and I will give you the full lowdown on applying to US unis, SATs, Personal Statements, Extra-Curricular requirements, testimonials, teacher recommendations,...

Oh and GOOD LUCK!

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I have the impression that loundhound's daughter is already embarked on AS/ A2 which means she would have to start again if she switched to IBDP. Obviously the Shelby Davis scholarships are hotly contested, so there would be no cast iron guarantee of obtaining one.

While I'm no expert on UWCs I'm intrigued by the idea that being 'Western' gives a candidate an edge in getting into one, as the UWCS of my acquaintance (including UWCSEA & Mahindra) have broad ethnic mixes.

With regard to obtaining 'direct' scholarships to US universities, my experience has usually been that NOT being 'Western' gives a candidate a marginal advantage.

For those of us with a UK background it comes as a shock to realise that US universities generally give firm offers of places BEFORE the exam results are out, but this is absolutely correct.

Fraternal greetings and commiserations to Karvol and anybody else who writes college recommendations. Extracting sensible information from SOME teachers always seems to me to be a lot like dentistry.

5. Karvol

As you may know Mainwaring the UWC's have a competitive admissions system ( unless you happen to teach in one, in which case your kids are usually accepted ). The competition for places from Africa, Asia and Latin America is extremely intense, due to the very real and tangible awards offered if you get in. The competition from Europe and Western countries is not so intense. Essentially in some countries, UK being one of them, you have a greater than 50% chance of getting in if you apply. It also doesn't really matter if you have already started your A levels. We frequently got students coming who had done the first year of their countries A level equivalents, but wanted the IB. I know when my kids are old enough, I will be giving the UWC's a serious consideration as to whether or not it is worthwhile making the move and working there again.

Again with direct scholarships you are correct. The universities have quota systems, and not being from a Western country definitely helps.

6. Mainwaring

My experience has been almost exclusively Latin America/ Asia, so thanks for the useful information about entry to 'western' UWCs.

Having taught in both systems I'd have my reservations about repeating a year to switch from A Levels to IB. DP English is as wishy washy as a Christmas pantomime and Grade 7s in the Experimental Sciences are very hard to achieve, a fact of which many admissions tutors seem determinedly 'unaware'.

7. Karvol

Not to mention the unholy trinity of Maths Studies, E. Systems and Business Studies. I don't know much about Business Studies but I know it is more difficult to get a 7 in Studies than it is to get it in Standard Level, not that the unis seem to have much idea about this!

If you don't mind me asking Mainwaring, where are you teaching now? And did you ever teach at Mahindra ( a friend of mine was a student there about 2001 - 2002 ).

8. Mainwaring

A good friend was the founding CEO (i.e. Project Director/Administrator) of Mahindra and I've met DW & been workshopped by the formidable Veronica, though I never taught there. Apart from some fairly marginal college counselling work I've kicked the education habit and now spend my time writing, training a surprisingly good choir, pruning my 80 odd olive trees and maintaining an eccentric old farm house in the wilds of Andalucía.

9. Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks
    for the information.
    As said offspring is about to take AS exams this may/june, I'm not too sure about swapping to the IB although I've always thought it's better.
    On the question of being western, well, wehaven't lived in the UK this millenium, and will be applying from an African Country...is this feasible?
    Also, if the choice is to continue with A levels, is there a progression route post 18 that I can follow?
    I have to be honest and say that I would probably need as much financial help in the form of scholarship/bursary or whatever!
    Happy New Year.

10. Hi loundhound,

Just saw your post from 2 years ago and wondered how you fared with education path for your child. I am basically in the same situation as you were when you wrote your posts in 2009 - I am a UK teacher based outside the EU / UK and wondering what path my son should take in 6th form and beyond. Also needing scholarship help if at all possible!
    Could you let me know how you have fared with your decisions?

Much appreciated.
    Steventon